Is this a direct fit rearend for my 87 V10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole Buck

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 SWB 4x4
Engine Size
5.7 for now
2006 14 bolt srw. arb air locker and 5.13 gears

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No, on literally every every front. And it’s not a 14bolt, it’s an AAM 11.5” axle. (Which doesn’t matter since it won’t even mount up without welding/modification, different width, different gear ratio, different lug pattern, different number of lugs….and that’s just the highlights.)

Ole Buck

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 SWB 4x4
Engine Size
5.7 for now
No, on literally every every front. And it’s not a 14bolt, it’s an AAM 11.5” axle. (Which doesn’t matter since it won’t even mount up without welding/modification, different width, different gear ratio, different lug pattern, different number of lugs….and that’s just the highlights.)
Thank you Sir. I should have been clearer, I am looking to do the 14 bolt swap. Just trying to find a direct swap.

Ole Buck

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 SWB 4x4
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Now I am looking for a 14 bolt ff to swap in but I reckon this is not it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don’t know what you’re building, but you’re obviously planning on putting 8 lug hubs on the front or swapping that to a D60 as well, with monster truck/mud bog gears, or a double OD trans that will make 5.xx gears drivable at highway speeds without 44s on it!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
NVM, I went and looked at your early posts. You ARE planning on a monster truck.
With everything you’re doing to the truck, if that axle is in good shape and a good deal, it’s got the gears you want already, disc brakes, bonus, and you sound like you have the skills to install spring perches and shock mounts and figure out the U joints.
I rescind my earlier comment. If I was doing a full on build and 8 lug conversion like you are, that axle would absolutely be a very viable option in my mind.
No need for it to be a direct drop in. You are starting from scratch anyway. That’s a small project to fit that axle, comparatively speaking.

And huge bonus on the discs, gears, air locker, and torque arm.
It’s going from viable to no brainer the more I think aboot it…

Ole Buck

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 SWB 4x4
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Man i hit gold with this. It was already in a square body. The spring perches have already been relocated to the proper position for my 87. It came with the U-bolts, washers, and the nuts. Plus, he was a square body guy. Thank you Grit dog for your assistance.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I have a 14FF similar to that in my 55 Chevy that sits on a 76 K20 chassis. The spring perches have definitely been moved in on that axle. The newer truck frames are almost a foot wider than the old Squares and when using the newer rear axle you must move the shock and spring perches. Looks like a good score.

HS

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Man i hit gold with this. It was already in a square body. The spring perches have already been relocated to the proper position for my 87. It came with the U-bolts, washers, and the nuts. Plus, he was a square body guy. Thank you Grit dog for your assistance.

I was gonna say, yeah those aren't the original perches. You aren't in the clear yet though as far as the perches go. There were two different perch widths used on the squarebody trucks, the 1-tons and crew cabs had a narrower spacing.

And that certainly looks like 10.5" 14 bolt diff from here (which would also be AAM, actually) and not the bigger 11.5" diff.

Ole Buck

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 SWB 4x4
Engine Size
5.7 for now

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Here's a pic where I did the perch movement on my '04 14FF. It worked great but I did have to change the pinion yoke so that I could use my old sized u-joint.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@bucket, yes I believe you’re correct and I stand corrected.
No long gussets on the carrier.
Axle tube size is different 10.5 to 11.5 as well. 3.5” vs 4” or something like that.
Regardless, the 10.5 will take anything he can throw at it unless putting over 6000lbs in the truck bed. And the 10.5 will still handle massive torque.
I’d say @Ole Buck got a deal!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus