Is it worth it removing this smog equipment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85Squared

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I have had quite a few small block 350 but this is the first one I've had with this type of a smog set up. Is it worthwhile trying to remove all of this extra piping and tubing and trying to plug up the holes on the manifolds? It's not hurting anything at the moment but it does add some unnecessary clutter to the engine bay and adds an extra level of difficulty to changing out spark plugs. Has anyone done this before and can you give me any tips or pointers on whether it was a good idea? Thanks in advance

You must be registered for see images attach

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Is this on your 85 Burb? Is the engine carb'd or does it have TBI? My 87 never had anything like that on it. Just the air pump tied into pipes which were connected to the manifolds. Cut the pipes off, swapped manifold for headers and removed air pump belt. That's all I did to delete smog stuff.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Put some headers on it!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wow, I've never seen some **** like that? Is this a USA truck? I'm guessing that has got to be aftermarket. I don't even recall any of that. If you remove it, I wouldn't tear it up. Probably put it up in the attic for safe keeping should your state laws ever change or you move out of state to a state that requires. The biggest hinderence is that the stuff is in the way. It's not a huge hp robber as some claim.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
OP, can you give us a broader view of the engine bay? Your setup really has me confused! The black tubing going into the top, is that from the smog pump? And it looks like one of the silver pipes is going to the A/C compressor.

We need answers to ask more questions, dammit! LOL!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, I'd like a wider view too. Back off a little bit with the cam and let us see it all.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
@HotRodPC You don't think that black canister is some sort of resonator for the air pump to keep it quiet? Or maybe an enclosed airfilter in line with the air pump?

Heck, I can't even make out the manifolds on the engine. IF you look further down, there is silver tubing running parallel with the frame. WTF is going on here? Maybe this vehicle isn't a square?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, I think I see what's going here. The 4 tubes coming off the black can are going to each exhaust port. The one I thought was running to the back of the A/C is going to #1. So we have #1,3,5, and 7 the tubes are running to. We can't see #1 area of manifold due to AC being in the way. I just wonder what the other side looks like. I know on my 87, there were tubes running from both sides and a tube which wrapped around back side of engine to connect both sides together.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I don't even think this is a 350 engine. Look at the air cleaner. It splits in half as opposed to having a lid.

EDIT: I give up...

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, that does look exactly like the air cleaner on this truck, which is said to be an 83.

I wonder if the OP's setup is some variation on the AIR (Air Injection Reaction) system. Maybe specifically for California? Or possibly because of it's GVWR?

85Squared

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Is this on your 85 Burb? Is the engine carb'd or does it have TBI? My 87 never had anything like that on it. Just the air pump tied into pipes which were connected to the manifolds. Cut the pipes off, swapped manifold for headers and removed air pump belt. That's all I did to delete smog stuff.
Yes my Burban with carb

85Squared

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Here's a better view. I'm thinking it's a California car or something cause like I said I've had plenty but never seen this, but if it is a California car it didn't stay there long cause this is also one of the rustiest cars I ever had lol. All the extra silver tubing runs into each Port of the manifold and there are actually two smog pumps on the engine. I would love to put on some headers on but in my experience every time I go messing with manifolds when they really don't "need" to be messed with I end up breaking a damn header bolt off lol. I'm thinking I can keep my current manifolds and maybe put some bolts in the holes where the silver tubes are coming out to block off the holes?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Those black canisters look like the EFE's shown on some diagrams I looked at. Are there any stickers anywhere that say anything about Cali Emission Compliance?

Edit: I think it's called the EFE - TVS. Uncertain what the letters mean.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS