Inner Cab Heater/AC Housing Reference Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well Futher Mucker !!! At least I haven't lost my mind like I thought. I didn't remember pulling all this **** apart when I robbed that used heater core from the air distributor that I took out of that 81 GMC I scrapped. Luckily I didn't throw it away. (As If I would have anyway, do I throw anything away that has any value?) So I go get it to use as a pattern and possibly cut and modify my current 85 air box. :eek: No fuggin wonder the last one was easier. Take a look !!! Why the hell did GM change and make this back side all 1 piece plastic instead of 2 pieces that can be seperated much much easier? But now that I Know for sure, I do believe I am going to modify this box so that the next time I need to swap heater cores, it's going to be a 15-20 minute job instead of all this mutha fuggin boosheet !!! This is nothing short than fuggin ridiculous. This is some damn "working on a Ford" **** right here and not even the least bit fun.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SquareAirDistributor 001.jpg
    SquareAirDistributor 001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 608

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I've about fuggin had it with the air distributor box. I've still not got it apart. How the fugg do I get the long shaft out of it so I can seperate the 2 pcs? I've heard some **** where guys actually CUT the box on the interior and then you gain access to the heater core straps and can remove the heater core by removing the heater core hoses, and the 4 screws to the straps and that's that. You just have to use some form of duct tape to put the cut piece of air distributor back on. I just might do it. This way the next time the heater core needs replaced, I don't have to remove all these fuggin screws, just, duct work, cables, actuators and all that ********. I just don't want it looking all rednecktified and like hell.

That long shaft is pressed in. Just take pliers and work on the end of it at the bottom to pry it up. It's keyed like slotted shape. One you get it popped out of the lower hinge it should slide right out of the top.

That's ****** up about that one piece housing. You look at that floor defrost door setting on the 2 piece housing?

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
And before you pry that shaft out unhook the linkage up top for the blend door.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That long shaft is pressed in. Just take pliers and work on the end of it at the bottom to pry it up. It's keyed like slotted shape. One you get it popped out of the lower hinge it should slide right out of the top.

That's ****** up about that one piece housing. You look at that floor defrost door setting on the 2 piece housing?

Yeah, it appears to all be the same exact same parts in the same positions. Only difference being the 2 piece metal distributor off the 81 vs the 1 piece plastic **** for the 85. I've got an idea though. :flipthebird: To hell with this "Ford" type ********. I think I'll be cutting my air distributor box. Just scouting around the garage for some material to make it where I can replace and remove the cover for easy access and a way to make it look OK. I don't want it looking all butchered up. But, I'm not going thru this ******** again. This is ridiculous. And GM very well could have designed this properly in the first place for ease of access to swap heater cores. Fuggin greedy bastards. We all know why they didn't.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Wow dude, this really got you riled up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wow dude, this really got you riled up.

Not really. I just don't like stupid designs when it could have been so much better and easier. It's a lot of work to change this **** out when it can take 15 minutes and working on the **** has had made me barely able to walk for 2 fuggin days now.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Not really. I just don't like stupid designs when it could have been so much better and easier. It's a lot of work to change this **** out when it can take 15 minutes and working on the **** has had made me barely able to walk for 2 fuggin days now.

It is a ****** setup but it's great to tear into it and learn and help others.

Really interesting how that one has a metal cover and vacuum diaphragm on the back. That plastic one you pulled out looks like it is plastic melted points to hold the cover on, am I right? or is the whole thing glued along the seams?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
- Orange/Black hose to right side kick panel servo.
- Tan/Black hose to servo behind housing, top port.
- Blue/Black hose to servo behind housing, bottom port.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It is a ****** setup but it's great to tear into it and learn and help others.

Really interesting how that one has a metal cover and vacuum diaphragm on the back. That plastic one you pulled out looks like it is plastic melted points to hold the cover on, am I right? or is the whole thing glued along the seams?

The black plastic POS is all molded as one piece. They could have and should stuck with the metal, or could have gone plastic but keep it seperate like the old style. I don't when the style changed, but that metal 1 I have is from an 81 and mine is off the 85, so somewhere between 82 and 84 it changed.

Oh that reminds FRANKENTRUCK needs this controller out of this 81 for his 81. I need to go visit his thread. I forgot to do it cuz I cleaned it up a bit to see if it was worthy of offering and didn't get pics yet. I'm sure hell be happy to see I have one. I looked on ebay, fuggin $100 for a used POS for an 81 Camaro but looks just like mine.

Dyl0116

Reaction score
First Name
Dyllenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I cant for the life of me get the vacuum lines back onto the little pods. What should i do? Ive tried heating them, etc.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
FAK !!! Just FAK !!! I guess I don't have a choice now but the make some kind of Hybrid box. I knew this was being awful tough coming apart. I did exactly as you were saying before you said it. Since you confirmed it, I carried on. Pulling that long keyed stem out and out, broke a couple pieces. That door being one of them, so now door won't say in place and it will not turn on the stem. Gonna have to replace that part. Also it appears the plastic piece itself is broken. The part where my other is metal.. That plastic is broke. So I"m going to have to try and use the metal. I know the Vac diaphrams are different too, so hopefully the holes are the same and I can just transfer my current dual connection diaphrams in place of the single connections. This isn't a fun job at all. :flipthebird:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey 89S.. Was the plastic part that comes off of your Blend door actuator shaft from the Vac Diaphram broke too? Both of these air distributors that I have, that piece is broke. Seems it'll still work, just that some air is going to leak there for the little space that the plastic part isn't covering the hole in the blend door. Just looked on LMC, and they don't even show the part in their diagram let alone sell it. I was thinking maybe if I caulked it in good it would stick and stay in place. Otherwise, I think Ill make the part. It does look to be a weak design and once that plastic gets brittle I can see how all of these trucks most likely have that broken piece.

BUT, you know me. **** get's done right or not at all. I want it right. I don't mind retrofitted or made better than new, but I do want it to function 100% like it's supposed to.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'll have to look at the pics when I get on a computer and get back to you on that HR. I have to tell ya I am very disappointed you can not handle working on this project. I used to look up at you but now I am hanging my head in shame. :roflbow:

If I get mine swapped out to the heat only box setup mine is yours if you want it, even has a brand new core in it. Only thing holding me back right now is I got to research the mods needed to the firewall.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No, you're peice isn't broken. It's the white platic tear drop looking piece above the date in this pic. Mine is broke on both my air distibrutors.
You must be registered for see images

I'd had this long ago Dawg if my box wasn't welded together. I could tell how it came apart, but it was so damn stuck. I just knew that fuggin door and other part was going to break. Soaked it 2 fuggin days in oil and the **** still broke. It was like that door was melted to that long stem or flapper door shaft. Hopefully better luck migrating the older unit with the newer unit is all I can say. I didn't giive up and cut my box like I wanted to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76