In Need of Some wisdom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I just started replacing the stereo system in my truck and it turns out the previous owner screwed the rear speakers, the amp, and the grounds straight into the rear cab wall. After removing, there is now roughly twenty holes about 4mm in diameter. I plan on welding the holes and then coating from the top of the bed line on the cab down with bed liner. First off I want to know if that seems like a logical decision coating the cab, and second, while I have the bed off is there anything else I should look for or replace?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
That seems like a good way to repair the cab and would be how I'd do it. While the bed is off I'd undercoat the frame with POR15 as well as take a look at your brake lines, fuel sending unit, fuel lines and gas tank. Replace anything that needs replaced :)

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
That seems like a good way to repair the cab and would be how I'd do it. While the bed is off I'd undercoat the frame with POR15 as well as take a look at your brake lines, fuel sending unit, fuel lines and gas tank. Replace anything that needs replaced :)

yea,, check out the tanks and lines to them,, its a real bitch pulling tanks and doing lines laying upside down with **** in your face and kicking your self for not doing it when the cab/bed was off.........:pp:

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Be careful when welding those holes on the rear of the cab. My previous owner I'm assuming did the same thing with the speakers so when I went to weld the holes it was hard not to burn bigger holes in the cab even on te lowest heat setting.

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I'll buy some POR15 tomorrow.
As far as blowing holes while welding on the cab, I am worried about that happening but I'll be welding it under the supervision of one of the best welders I've ever known, so hopefully it goes well. I'll post pictures of how it turns out. I'll also post some pictures tomorrow of underneath the bed. I really appreciate the feedback so far! Especially a shout out to OLD77. You have responded to every post I have ever written, which to say the least is pretty f'n awesome.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Be careful when welding those holes on the rear of the cab. My previous owner I'm assuming did the same thing with the speakers so when I went to weld the holes it was hard not to burn bigger holes in the cab even on te lowest heat setting.

Was that with a stick welder or a wire feed? I could see it being a stick welder, but I'd imagine you could get the wire feed down enough it should be OK. :shrug:

I'll buy some POR15 tomorrow.
As far as blowing holes while welding on the cab, I am worried about that happening but I'll be welding it under the supervision of one of the best welders I've ever known, so hopefully it goes well. I'll post pictures of how it turns out. I'll also post some pictures tomorrow of underneath the bed. I really appreciate the feedback so far! Especially a shout out to OLD77. You have responded to every post I have ever written, which to say the least is pretty f'n awesome.

Some before pics would be awesome too.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
YEAH ON THEM FUEL HOSES TO THE TANKS !!!!!!
When welding,wire feed or stick. touch it then get out, go to next hole, touch it then get out. let the metal cool before touching it again, them holes does`nt needum to be completely filledum in on one pass, mekeum it two or threeum passesum.

tnsser

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I just finished welding some holes and cutting out some rust. I never had any problems with blowout. The welder would have to be set way too hot and slow for that to happen. Practice before you start. Get your settings right by using a scrap piece of sheet the same thickness as the area you are going to weld.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just finished welding some holes and cutting out some rust. I never had any problems with blowout. The welder would have to be set way too hot and slow for that to happen. Practice before you start. Get your settings right by using a scrap piece of sheet the same thickness as the area you are going to weld.

That's kinda why I keep an old hood or door around. I can cut metal out of them for weld in scraps to fix rust, OR, practice and try to get the settings right first.

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I'll see if I can post some before's right now.

Also I'm wondering is a quart of POR15 enough to do half the frame or should I get a gallon. Price in my area is $53.00/qt or $170.00/gallon.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yes a quart is enough

tnsser

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'll see if I can post some before's right now.

Also I'm wondering is a quart of POR15 enough to do half the frame or should I get a gallon. Price in my area is $53.00/qt or $170.00/gallon.

Damn! You can get it on line a lot cheaper including shipping.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Damn! You can get it on line a lot cheaper including shipping.

Help a brutha out tnsser. Unlike many other forums, we don't have rules against posting direct links to other products that will save any of us a few bucks. If you know where to beat the price, feel free to post it up.

Prof GMC

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Another good idea when welding up holes like you are talking about is to get a flat piece of copper to hold on the back side of the hole while you are welding. The mild steel from the welder will not stick to copper. Makes your welds look professional without looking like a porcupine on the backside. If you cant get flat copper, get a 3/4" copper water line about a foot long and flatten it. The reason for the 12" long is so you dont burn your hand while welding, that heat will run up that copper quick. Also use a small wire feed welder with this copper, you will get good results.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size