Improving Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Altoids94

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 1500
Engine Size
Trying to get a better ride out of my 1980 K10. I currently have a skyjackers softride 4" suspension lift in the front and 4" blocks in the back with a leaf pack with 7 leafs (6 with 1 overload). I believe these have a spring rate of 2775 (http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png). I also have a 3" body lift and the truck is sitting on 35's.

I am planning on removing the body lift(bought the truck like this) due to the problems it causes. I am also adding a factory sway bar in to eliminate some body roll. I currently have Pro Comp Explorer ES3000 on all 4 corners. I was thinking on changing them to the Bilstein 5100 series since I have heard many good reviews.

I am currently looking for some new rear springs and I am trying to decide between 52" or 56". I have heard the 56" offers a better ride. This truck will be used as my daily driver with the intent of occasional mild to moderate off roading, won't be doing much towing if any at all.

Any thoughts on making my truck drive a bit smoother and handle a bit better.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Buy a truck with IFS... seriously.. not joking.

Solid axles will never ride "smooth" or "handle better". They weren't designed for that in those days.

Altoids94

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 1500
Engine Size

Solid axles will never ride "smooth" or "handle better". They weren't designed for that in those days.

I know it will never handle or ride as smooth as a truck with IFS but my truck rides quite harsh right now and handles much worse compared to my friends 86 K5. Looking to find a good combo to improve it. I want to see what people have run to get the best ride of out these old beauties.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd just recommend Tuff Country or BDS front springs, the ride from them is like original springs. I'd also suggest just a set of used GM rear 56's. Even with 7 or 8 leaves, the ride is still pretty good and you get to keep your towing capacity.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Let some air out of your tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
x2 on the ifs if that's what you are looking for. although I wouldn't own one. do you want a truck or a car? highdesertranger

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Actually the lifts for IFS trucks are quite good. There are a few advantages to IFS 4wds. Such as the ride quality and unlimited speed ceiling in 4wd as well the transfer case should last longer especially the floor shift units, as the front drive shaft does not move positions during use. The electronic ones can have an ECM issue. PITA!!!

As well the extended and crew cabs give extra driveline length to make angles less of an issue.

And 99' and up use Vortec LS engines!!! With electronic OD 4L60 or 4L80s

Vortecs have been known to go 300,000 miles routinely with good maintenance.

The only draw backs are the low clearance and weakness of the CV shafts vs a solid front axle.

Your not gonna drive over a log with an IFS like you will with a front dana 60!

And an IFS is not nearly as cool either!

That being said I am going to add an IFS to our family this year so I can fit the whole family in! :)

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Tires are a big part of it. If your pa
Has 6 ply sidewalls, and you have 10 ply sidewalls, you can't even assess the suspension because it's the tires that are beating you up.

Also, experiment with air pressure. I don't care what you think you should run. Lower it by 10 psi and see how it rides, and how they wear. Does it handle worse? Start there.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins

this is probably the bottom line here

Tires are a big part of it. If your pa
Has 6 ply sidewalls, and you have 10 ply sidewalls, you can't even assess the suspension because it's the tires that are beating you up.

Also, experiment with air pressure. I don't care what you think you should run. Lower it by 10 psi and see how it rides, and how they wear. Does it handle worse? Start there.

this is also very very true, get a nice non aggressive tire and it should soften up the ride a bit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare