ignition switch kit/gear selector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

American_justice

Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I just replaced my ignition cylinder on the collum of my 83 c10, I was hoping it would fix my problem but unfortunately it didn't. so when I was doing research on it I found this gear selector kit and just from the description of it online I figured it could be part of my problem.

Pretty much my problem is when I turn the ignition cylinder to the start position sometimes it starts no problem but sometimes it doesn't do ****. I just sit there twisting it on and off working with it and trying to get it to catch and send the signal to the starter. I've been lucky enough that I've been able to get it to turn over after screwing with it for a few minutes. but it's getting worse and it's very inconvenient.

so I replaced the ignition cylinder already and it didn't help. when I bought the cylinder I also bought this ignition switch kit cuz I figured it would be right there next to it and I should be able to make it happen. well it may be right there next to it but I can't seem to figure it out. there's not much info on the actual instructions on this piece I thought I'd ask y'all and see if anyone knows how to replace this thing.

The part name on the box is ignition switch kit but online they call it a steering rack and gear selector. it's made by dorman, the part number is 83211

Any information is helpful, im just looking for a little guidance on the location and any helpful tricks or tools. I will include a pic of the part

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If your cylinder is turning all the way, but it's not starting, that's an electrical problem.

The lock cylinder is just that, a lock. The actual ignition switch is controlled by the lock cylinder and that rack kit. It is mounted on the top side of the column, a little further down. It could be worn out or simply out of adjustment. Your problem could also be the neutral safety switch, down towards the base of the column. Same as the ignition switch, it could be worn or just out of adjustment. Next time it's acting up, try wiggling the shifter to different spots to see if it will start then.

I'm just assuming you have an automatic.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Exactly. Could be the ignition switch needs to be adjusted on the column. My brand new switch took some fine tuning before I could get power in the ACC position. You know where the switch is located, right?

American_justice

Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
yes it's an automatic, and yes typically if it's acting up I can shift down thru all my gears and back up to park and this will help and allow me to start. so when it does work it starts fine but when it doesn't it's like the rack and sector aren't aligned to and it won't allow the lock to turn fully into the start position. I hadn't considered it being electrical, I'll have to take a look under the kick panel and see if I can get to the ignition switch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69