Identify this engine component?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JM in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
What is the part I’ve pointed to with the orange arrow? This is not my engine, but mine has the same component (maybe they all do?)

I can identify AC compressor, water pump, PS pump, and alternator, but I feel like I’m just having brain fog about this.

Anyway, there’s some squealing on the right side of my engine that I don’t think is the belts. Probably alternator bearings going out, but want to be prepped for a bigger project if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_6280.jpeg
    IMG_6280.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 124

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Air pump. It's emissions related. You could take it off and the truck would run fine, but if you live somewhere where your truck would still need to pass emissions then you'll need it.

JM in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Thanks! No emissions testing here in Kentucky. Hopefully that’s not what is squealing. Still might keep / replace it just because I’m a sucker for originality.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
They have there own belt. Could just leave it off.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Thanks! No emissions testing here in Kentucky. Hopefully that’s not what is squealing. Still might keep / replace it just because I’m a sucker for originality.
I'll detail a squeal I had in my S-10 recently resolved. Basically, it was my power steering pump pulley. When I changed the pump out removing the pulley from the old to put on the new pump I failed to realize that I did not have it pushed on far enough and the serpentine belt was slightly misaligned. it didnt take much and the sound would wake the dead until warmed up. Once warm the squeal vanished. With the hood up it would force your fingers in your ears to keep from bleeding. The local wildlife are slowly coming back into the area.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I've removed many of those over the years. Honestly though, if you don't mind it being there and you really like originality, there's certainly no harm in replacing it if it's locking up.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
smog pump, remove, clean it up, put it back on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members