ID marks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KamperBob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
6.2?
I just got into an '84 k30 diesel. It was parked (inside) 30 years ago yet fired right up. Except the oil pressure gauge pegs high so that needs attention. Any known issues or likely culprits to check?

Also, it's some kind of mongrel as it has a turbo but no idea which. Any suggestions for ID marks to look for? I'll try to get pix soon but meanwhile any clues would be much appreciated.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First thing verify with mechanical gauge.

KamperBob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
6.2?
Thanks guys. Two followup points.

1. The oil pump and relief valve are presumably in the sump so I'd pull the pan? (I ordered a service manual but it's not here yet.)

2. After I rustle up a gauge, any hint/clue where to plug in?

Thanks again!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yes you pull the pan. The gauge screws in,in place of where your existing oil pressure sender is screwed in

KamperBob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
6.2?
Yes you pull the pan. The gauge screws in,in place of where your existing oil pressure sender is screwed in
Great. Sounds straightforward. All I need to do is find it. (Sure will help when the manual arrives.)

KamperBob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
6.2?
I got some pix today under the hood of the 84 k30 diesel with turbo. No documentation, just a 30 year old ad clipping stating it had "new 6.2 turbo, trans. & transfer case" at the time. No idea if "new" meant he (next to last owner) rebuild what he had or completely swapped out power train and if latter then were those rebuilt or what. So any tells, distinguishing marks etc to ID what exactly is under this hood could greatly help with TLC going forward. Is it a Banks turbo conversion? Was a later GM 6.5 turbo somehow mated to the original 6.2? I'm keen to sort out what I'm starting with.

Attachments

• 84 k30 engine RF.JPG
    84 k30 engine RF.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 84 k30 engine LF lo.JPG
    84 k30 engine LF lo.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 15

KamperBob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
6.2?
...There is this sticker on the air filter housing but that company seems to have vaporized a quarter century ago.

Attachments

• Air Filter Sticker - DIESEL Dyno-Tune.JPG
    Air Filter Sticker - DIESEL Dyno-Tune.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 9

KamperBob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
6.2?
Dang! Haynes Repair Manual doesn't cover diesel. Neither does Kevin Whipps' restoration book. Guess I'll return those and try to find something else. Meanwhile, maybe next week I can tear into it and try puzzling things out.

KamperBob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
6.2?
Followup: the oil pressure sender was bad. Bench testing with air compressor tool pressure and an ohm meter showed that it "opened up" at low pressure, resulting in pegged dash gauge. Replaced sender and dash needle now comparable to mechanical pressure gauge.

I'm working through a list of issues you'd expect with a 40 year old truck that's been mothballed the last three decades. It has good bones so I'm doubling down on maintenance. I'm optimistic it can be a reliable primary vehicle. I'm a full time RVer and this truck is to carry a vintage truck camper that I've also been restoring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04