Hydro boost leaks back into the cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I have a 1979 one ton with hydro boost. It leaks back into the cab. The back brakes work fine but once the fluid leaks out of the reservoir for the front bakes (into the cab) I have no front brakes.

Is there a rebuild kit or replacement parts to fix this?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Your getting brake fluid or PS fluid in the cab?

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I will take some pics.

From how it looks to me the fluid leaks out the back of the booster where it mounts into the firewall. It only drains out of the reservoir that feeds the front brakes. The back brakes work just fine.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I will take some pics.

From how it looks to me the fluid leaks out the back of the booster where it mounts into the firewall. It only drains out of the reservoir that feeds the front brakes. The back brakes work just fine.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how brake fluid is getting threw the hydraboost unit. I can see PS fluid leaking out there and maybe one of your front brake lines is leaking. Which is common (brake lines leaking that is)

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how brake fluid is getting threw the hydraboost unit. I can see PS fluid leaking out there and maybe one of your front brake lines is leaking. Which is common (brake lines leaking that is)

I can fill the reservoir for the brakes and it won't take long for it to be empty and fluid in the cab. Nothing is leaking in the engine compartment.

Last edited:

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
it's impossible for brake fluid to leak into the cab with a hydraboost. your brake fluid is going somewhere else. also your hydraboost is leaking. highdesertranger

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
it's impossible for brake fluid to leak into the cab with a hydraboost. your brake fluid is going somewhere else. also your hydraboost is leaking. highdesertranger
That's what I was thinking.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I fill it at the beginning of the day and by the end of the day I see this and a puddle of fluid in my cab. I topped of the power steering when I bought the truck and it is still full.

Last edited:

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the problem though is there really not a pathway from the master cylinder to inside the cab through the hydraboost. if it takes only a day to happen that's a huge leak. leave the brake lines attached and split the master off the booster fill the master up if what is happing as you describe you should see fluid leaking out the master. I still can't see it going through the booster. highdesertranger

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
the problem though is there really not a pathway from the master cylinder to inside the cab through the hydraboost. if it takes only a day to happen that's a huge leak. leave the brake lines attached and split the master off the booster fill the master up if what is happing as you describe you should see fluid leaking out the master. I still can't see it going through the booster. highdesertranger

Thanks everybody.

I will have to dig into it. It in the reservoir, it gone and in the cab. Not sure what happens in between.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm going with a bad master cylinder for 100% certain. I'd replace that first. Then see what happens. I'd expect you'll at least have front brakes and if the fluid in the cab floor quits then all is well. If you still have fluid on the cab floor, then I consider a reman booster too.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I'm going with a bad master cylinder for 100% certain. I'd replace that first. Then see what happens. I'd expect you'll at least have front brakes and if the fluid in the cab floor quits then all is well. If you still have fluid on the cab floor, then I consider a reman booster too.
I think I will give that a shoot. Pretty cheap and not too much work.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Be sure to bench bleed the master, then, after getting the master bolted up, start the lines into their ports, then, have someone push the pedal down and hold it while You tighten the fittings. That will save You a bunch of brake bleeding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120