How to Weld

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I figured for my 100th post I would do something to benefit everyone so here it goes. How to weld now i am not a professional but i have been welding for 5 years now (2 for a company the rest just for "fun")
First things first wear gloves, welding helmet, safety glasses, jeans/ non-meltable pants make sure they over your waist down and wear long sleeves if not preferably a welding jacket. Now that that is over "welding is dangerous do it at your own risk" First things first there are 3 main types of welding you will do they are stick/smaw,mig/Gmaw,Tig/Gtaw. Now you may wonder what is the best for me. Well it depends I started with stick welding and now I could pass a 6g weld test with it (6g=pipe line welding)
Mig is best for a homeowner that only needs to weld once in a great while. Tig is best left to some one with way to much time on their hands it is the hardest to learn. now here is a youtube channel that wll teach you how to weld i will look at the comments and if there is something that this guys does not bring up ask it down below and i will answer asap. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJAFY2kKKb5sg79yld7T3hA

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
QUOTE="Honky Kong jr, post: 398247, member: 11002"]I wanna learn......[/QUOTE]

Start with a mig wire feed. Easy to learn and welding comes in handy for all sorts of projects. Learning how to weld over 25 years ago (started with torch welding in the natural gas industry) was by far the most valuable lesson. I currently weld, stick, torch , mig and tig. Mig welding is my favorite.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
If you start learning with wire feed you will never (almost never) be able to really learn how to stick weld or gas torch or tig. You have to learn to carry and manipulate a puddle of molten steel. That is the basic skill and carries over to gas welding or tig or stick.

The hobby dude can use wire feed but probably better off with inner shield. That saves the expense of renting or buying bottles of C02 or argon mix whatever. Plus, you can weld outside with inner shield wire feed.

Tig is not hard to master if you can carry a puddle. I've never had a problem with it 30 years ago, and look forward to my new Everlast Powertig 255ext and the learning curve. Now the new machines with pulse are so nice to run. Weld freaking tin foil.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
When I was back in the aerospace industry we had to learn how to weld in an argon filled capsule with some of the turbine components....it was a bitch....a definate learning curve for sure. I agree that torch welding is an excellent way to start welding . Either way... It takes practice , patience and good equipment. I hate stick welding...period. It serves a purpose, just not mine. Tig and mig are my favorites due to the ease of use and cleaner controlled welds.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
When I was back in the aerospace industry we had to learn how to weld in an argon filled capsule with some of the turbine components....it was a bitch....a definate learning curve for sure. I agree that torch welding is an excellent way to start welding . Either way... It takes practice , patience and good equipment. I hate stick welding...period. It serves a purpose, just not mine. Tig and mig are my favorites due to the ease of use and cleaner controlled welds.
In the field I Stick weld in the shop it’s Mig.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I found tig to be the easiest to learn. The biggest thing that kept getting me is when welding stick, the length of arcing device keeps decreasing. Also when welding without preheat, always have to keep in mind that required current levels change as metal heats up. I am just a novice self learning, so only can share mistakes. I found little flux core to work ok for home(at least for stuff that I have at home)

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Always remember flux core is reverse polarity. If it's splattering like hell the polarity is wrong.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
QUOTE="Honky Kong jr, post: 398247, member: 11002"]I wanna learn......

Start with a mig wire feed. Easy to learn and welding comes in handy for all sorts of projects. Learning how to weld over 25 years ago (started with torch welding in the natural gas industry) was by far the most valuable lesson. I currently weld, stick, torch , mig and tig. Mig welding is my favorite.[/QUOTE]
these are great points but i recommend buying a stick welder first if you do misc. projects once you master stick you can weld almost anything for my case my dad threw me a box of 7013 and told me to try it then i got good with that then moved to 7018. now if all you want to do is body work get a mig you will hate your self if you start stick welding body panels or try tig for the first time welding panels plus stick is the cheapest to get into and has the least amount of consumables to buy (stick rods/electrodes) and if you suck lots of gloves now smooth has 20 years more experience than me and i know i have a mark on my chest from when i learned to oxy weld and i bet smooth does too lol

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I found tig to be the easiest to learn. The biggest thing that kept getting me is when welding stick, the length of arcing device keeps decreasing. Also when welding without preheat, always have to keep in mind that required current levels change as metal heats up. I am just a novice self learning, so only can share mistakes. I found little flux core to work ok for home(at least for stuff that I have at home)
i found tig sucked to learn but know that i know it i love it but at my work i never get to use it by far i have the most hours in stick being at about 2000-3000

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Always remember flux core is reverse polarity. If it's splattering like hell the polarity is wrong.

OK that is my problem. I use flux core, because I only use it for body work. Maybe once in a while something a little heavier. I have a Hobart welder, and I always get splatter. I am looking into getting a bottle of gas. I was told I would get a better all around weld with it. How do you change the polarity?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP