How to make a daily driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Its factory, reworked for standalone. The only thing it takes from the factory vehicle harness is 12v power, key on and constant.

SO while yes, you can make a factory LS harness work with older factory vehicle harnesses for cruise, or air, or whatever, this particular reworked harness can, because it's generically reworked to simply run the engine. Also, you need the correct module and switch, which most squares don't have the right switch, and none have the module.

SO yes, you can make cruise work, it's quite easy, that harness isn't going to do it as plug and play, because it doesn't have the extra parts.

My 87 has the same multifunction switch his 84 has, delco D6262D according to rock auto, so it should work, right?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
My 87 has the same multifunction switch his 84 has, delco D6262D according to rock auto, so it should work, right?

Yes, the 83 and up squares have the correct switch, older ones like my 79 need to use a switch from a van. You also need the cruise module from an S-series or Astro

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yes, the 83 and up squares have the correct switch, older ones like my 79 need to use a switch from a van. You also need the cruise module from an S-series or Astro

what year S10?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Mine came from a 99, anything mid 90's up will work, probably 96-on.

Look for one with no wire in the H terminal.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
I am working on building a daily driver '86 4x4 for my son who is still a couple years away from driving age. After I got it running, steering and stopping I just started making a list. I no-kidding have a microsoft word document with a list of things to fix. I did it on the computer so that I can move the items on the list up and down by priority and funding. I started fixing all of the little things that I could that would be considered necessity (I guess). Cleaned, repaired, or replace all of the lights, gauges and things like that. Tightened up my steering box and got everything aligned. Brakes replaced. Carb and Timing dialed in. Of course all the fluids and grease points. I'm at the point now of repairing the interior, seat, power windows and door locks. I figure once I get everything functioning like it is suppose to, I will do some upgrades like installing relays on everything I can to dial in some of the voltage to components like head lamps, windows, etc.

Once all that is done it should run and drive like a champ and just need cosmetics. Insert the funding side of the equation to the priority list. I am hoping that prior to my son being licensed I can get all the rust spots replace, new wood in the bed and paint and body work completed.

[SIDE NOTE TO YOUR TRUCK] 700r4 transmission has a fourth gear and will improve gas mileage and drive-ability tremendously. That's a high dollar swap due to transmission lengths, kickdown type and drive shaft lengths. But if you are mechanically inclined you can go that route. Or if you are even rolling in dollars you can look at doing and LS swap with a 4l60. The 5.3L found in hundreds of thousands of vehicles will produce plenty of power and again improve mileage and reliability.

I would say my two cents. But, I'm thinking that was probably more like $9.27

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyHansen