How to fix loose gm steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
shift lever

placed the new spring in good as new thanks to all roy c

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Thanks for the update Roy. Always nice to hear feedback of what corrected a problem. !!! :waytogo: Rep Given !!!

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I've never heard of a difference in the auto colums from overdrive to no overdrive. I knew the indicator on dash was easy to change and the detects for each gear was in transmission. I may have to look into this some more.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've never heard of a difference in the auto colums from overdrive to no overdrive. I knew the indicator on dash was easy to change and the detects for each gear was in transmission. I may have to look into this some more.

I'll know for sure very soon. I have the tilt column completely rebuilt and an OD indicator ready to be installed. I'm skeptical now if there truly is any difference other than the indicator as well after walking a u pull it yard a week ago. I found one that was partially disassembled and took it the rest of the way looking for the piece I thought I needed only to find parts that appeared to be the same (unfortunately my cell was dead so I couldn't take pics and I didn't have my parts to compare). My guess is what I have will work if adjusted correctly.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'll know for sure very soon. I have the tilt column completely rebuilt and an OD indicator ready to be installed. I'm skeptical now if there truly is any difference other than the indicator as well after walking a u pull it yard a week ago. I found one that was partially disassembled and took it the rest of the way looking for the piece I thought I needed only to find parts that appeared to be the same (unfortunately my cell was dead so I couldn't take pics and I didn't have my parts to compare). My guess is what I have will work if adjusted correctly.

It should work alright. I've gone from 3 speed, to 4 speed, and now back to 3 speed in my 84', all with the same column. I was able to access all gears on both transmissions.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It should work alright. I've gone from 3 speed, to 4 speed, and now back to 3 speed in my 84', all with the same column. I was able to access all gears on both transmissions.

Sweet then I'm going to have a very productive weekend. That's great to hear!

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I know I've always just pulled the tilt colums out and sold them to people with never a complaint. There was a couple years that had the ignition switches that ran backwards, but as long as they used whole replacement colum they interchanged. Only other difference I knew was wipers on turn signal and or cruise control. The delay wiper modul is just plug and play and I usually leave them with coulum.

I know good tilt column are getting fewer and further between. I think I'm down to 10-12 left myself and only 1 out of the 70's

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Thank you for the feed back, I need to get this done. Just waiting for the state inspection bill to hit so I am saving my few $$ that I have, Great info, I need to move this to the column thread.

wczimmerman

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Hello everyone. I am working to "refresh" an 87 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban for use pulling a 30-35' travel trailer. The motor was rebuilt by a shop for a prior owner and is in good shape. I have rebuilt the front end (drag link, tie rod ends, ball joints, steering stabilizer), replaced the power steering pump, all new belts, new A/C compressor (134A converted), new tires, alignment and there's more to do. I had it in the body shop this week to get the doors adjusted nicely and I thought I would have the steering column tightened up (tilt wheel) by the shop to save me some time. I had read about the 3 bolts in the column that loosen. The body shop farmed it out to a local auto shop which has been very helpful. Well, today they had a problem reassembling the column. What they told me was they can get everything back together (they had done it 3 times) but the steering wheel is not turning the shaft and they have not been able to figure out why yet. Any suggestions I can pass on to them in the morning?

Thanks for your help.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hmmm?!?!? Did they snap the primary shaft in the column? This is a new one on me bud.

BTW, Welcome to GMSB, and be sure to update us on whatever you find out.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with a suggestion.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Only thing I can think of is that plastic ball piece at the swivel if this is a tilt column. Very odd they can't figure it out. I'd like to have a look at that myself.

wczimmerman

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Only thing I can think of is that plastic ball piece at the swivel if this is a tilt column. Very odd they can't figure it out. I'd like to have a look at that myself.

Thanks. They were requesting some exploded diagrams from the dealer yesterday to figure it out. Once this is complete, it will be out of the shop and off to the next one to get a new radio and keyless entry.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here is a pic I dug up from a post of member @hinkv10. Apparently the high beam switch is adjustable to remove any slack from the linkage in the column.

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I got a buddy with an 84 C10 Silverado. He turns the key, no resistance at all, doesn't even unlock the steering wheel or able to get it out of park. Sooooooo, safe to assume it's not the rod slipped out, and it's probably broken ignition rack gears.

Being he's a 1 legged vet, he's stranded at home in a wheel chair and can't even wheel to the store cuz of the cool weather. His stump gets cold and then he has problems. Poor dude is about to lose the other leg too. Hoping to find the quickest way to fix him up. Been a long time since I got into one of these columns.

Abusfullofnuns

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Burb
Engine Size
Just wanted to show my appreciation for this thread. Stumbled across the sticky and it motivated me to fix my slightly loose steering column. I was able to fix the faulty steering lock and hard to select turn signals too. It all went back together great, but the high beam rod doesn't return every time. Works fine until you attach the upper housing and then it binds. I think it has to do with the single black wire and interference. I pulled it apart a couple more times to inspect but can't figure out the exact cause. I can flex the cover a bit and hear it return. I suppose I'll pull it apart again tomorrow.

Thanks for the walk through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019