How to fix loose gm steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Very good write up. Being a retired auto mechanic, I particularly enjoyed the creative terminology.. I've done hundreds of those loose column repairs, some were damaged to the point of needing a column tube replacement. One thing I didn't see covered in this article is the reason these bolts work loose in the first place.. One thing that causes the problem is pulling the tilt release lever and allowing the column to "freewheel" upwards unrestrained.. The sudden stop causes stress to be applied to the bolts and the area where they screw into the column. The miniscule stretching over time causes the bolts to work loose. Another thing that causes the bolts to work loose is using the steering wheel as a grab handle as one hoists himself into the seat.. The pulling action is applied to those 4 bolts and the notched out area of the column and can actually cause failure of this area of the tube. Trucks with "elevated" suspension systems seem to be the recipient of most of these failures. AMC used a GM tilt column in their Jeeps -- these were the worse of the lot..

ChevyTrucksRCool

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
V8
Hey man I am wondering what to do on my truck, it's a 1976 Chevrolet k10 and the steering wheel has about a quarter inch before the wheel engages. I am a 14 year old boy and this is my first truck. I inherited it from my grandpa, and it is all mechanically sound with a few minor things that my dad and I are fixing. I am pretty much dumbfounded when it comes to stuff with trucks as this is my first one so please try to use simple terms. Thanks.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey man I am wondering what to do on my truck, it's a 1976 Chevrolet k10 and the steering wheel has about a quarter inch before the wheel engages. I am a 14 year old boy and this is my first truck. I inherited it from my grandpa, and it is all mechanically sound with a few minor things that my dad and I are fixing. I am pretty much dumbfounded when it comes to stuff with trucks as this is my first one so please try to use simple terms. Thanks.
Welcome. We like pics here. Also is this a tilt column or is your play side to side?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site, you'll get all the help you need here..

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Hey man who are you actually addressing here?
There's lots of 'men' here that would be happy to help you Jake, and you can do your part too by researching and reading as much as you can about your truck and engines/transmissions/brakes,diffs and so on.
I would advise you (for free) to get to know the forum for starters. There's different sections for everything and the search feature can usually help find several variations of the same questions answered.
Good luck on your journey, welcome to the site and you are a very fortunate young man to have acquired a set of wheels (classic to boot!) at your age. It's better than vid games any day, as your figuring out.
Now get some pics and write us a more thorough description of your problem you wish to address... Listen to old Rusty Nick..

ChevyTrucksRCool

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
V8
And sorry to be so mainstream about who I'm addressing I was only meaning to get a couple heads into the mix.

ChevyTrucksRCool

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
V8
I just did some research and I think it's probably the column however sorry right now I cannot get any pics because the trucks stays at my grandpas house.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The tilt column controls the level of the steering wheel correct?

Jake, this particular thread is an instructional thread about tilt column looseness and how to repair it.. Your problem seems to be of another nature.. I suggest you get some pictures together, possibly a video, of the problem, and start a new thread of your own in the steering and suspension forum.. In the meantime, take a look at this thread --- http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/rag-joint-replacement.20037/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8