How often do you change your oil ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
If gas goes back down to .99/gal, I'll make a special trip out in my SB Burban to visit ya bud. :High 5:

yeah, no doubt! The only way I'm making it to PA is by way of a family vacation! :D driving is definitely $$$ these days especially if the driving is done in a SB.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My father in law was manager of Marco Cranes in Tuscon Az some years ago, he was telling me he saved them a ton of money by doubling the time between oil changes. All he did was send off oil to be analyzed when the crane was due for service, he also added he did the exact same thing with his personal vehicle and according to science he could go 6k miles between changes.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I know ours is always black when I change it lol, wife's new car, or old mans 84, mine was even black and it's a brand new all clean inside motor.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I had been religious about changing my oil every 2500 miles, but, I got lazy. In my Sierra, for example, I've been keeping an eye on the oil life monitor. When it gets to about 50%, that's when I change it.

I don't know the exact specs that I use for my oil as I don't do my own oil changes in the truck. It's simply not worth my time and energy and I don't give a rats ass about the so called pride in doing a fluid change. Valvoline can do it for just as cheap as I can and I don't have to worry about the recycling of the old oil.

My Nova hasn't had an oil change for at least 4 years. It hasn't been driven in 3 and it's seen less than 100 miles since the last oil change. I will change that the next time I plan to take it out, but, first, I need to make some repairs.

Small engines, such as the snow blower, get changed once a year with whatever I have around the house.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Small engines, such as the snow blower, get changed once a year with whatever I have around the house.

I don't even change the oil in my small engine stuff such as my lawn mower. I by the cheapy mowers ($100 - $150), though, but they usually last 8 to 10 years and never get an oil change :D

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K25- K25
Engine Size
350 and 350
I use royal purple 10w-30 and wix/napa gold filters in my 05 yukon.

I just started using a synthetic oil sold at tractor supply for my squares, It`s under their brand name "traveller" and it`s $5 a quart.

I never use any no name oil so i did alot of research online to find out who actually makes it and an american company named Warren performance products makes it in Iowa and nebraska. http://www.wd-wpp.com/index.html

They make oil for the big box stores like TSC and walmart and you can tell they make it by looking for the initials WPP on the bottom of the containers of the synthetic oil. for the regular oil it has different initials that i cant remember "sorry".

I change it at 5000 miles. I know they say you can go 12,000 miles with regular filter changes but no amount of convincing will ever get me to go that far. Oil changes are too cheap and easy to let go that long for me.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I don't even change the oil in my small engine stuff such as my lawn mower. I by the cheapy mowers ($100 - $150), though, but they usually last 8 to 10 years and never get an oil change :D

My snowblower is over 40 years old and has all mechanical linkages and such. The new ones use all belts and other weak **** so they can't power through the **** that mine can touch. My only disadvantage is the tires.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
My snowblower is over 40 years old and has all mechanical linkages and such. The new ones use all belts and other weak **** so they can't power through the **** that mine can touch. My only disadvantage is the tires.

Especially recently! I have been seeing the NE on the news with 2 more feet of snow coming your way. You guys just get buried in snow.....literally!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know ours is always black when I change it lol, wife's new car, or old mans 84, mine was even black and it's a brand new all clean inside motor.

And this is normal. Reason being, even though your engine has all clean internals, as a motor wears and rings become a little less tighter in the cylinders, everytime that cylinder fires, a little bit of the combustion gets passed the rings and into the crankcase which is then absorbed into the oil. Kinda like soot from a fire. Not likely any big chunks of anything in soot that is likley to hurt your motor. If it were a piece of carbon or something bigger, it would never make it past the rings and eventually be pushed out the exhaust valve.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I use royal purple 10w-30 and wix/napa gold filters in my 05 yukon.

I just started using a synthetic oil sold at tractor supply for my squares, It`s under their brand name "traveller" and it`s $5 a quart.

I never use any no name oil so i did alot of research online to find out who actually makes it and an american company named Warren performance products makes it in Iowa and nebraska. http://www.wd-wpp.com/index.html

They make oil for the big box stores like TSC and walmart and you can tell they make it by looking for the initials WPP on the bottom of the containers of the synthetic oil. for the regular oil it has different initials that i cant remember "sorry".

I change it at 5000 miles. I know they say you can go 12,000 miles with regular filter changes but no amount of convincing will ever get me to go that far. Oil changes are too cheap and easy to let go that long for me.

I'm thinking thats the name of the company that makes if for O'reily's too. I bought ass loads of it when O'reily's had a sale of 5gts of Full Synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter for like $17.99 maybe even $19.99 don't remember now but it was cheap cheap cheap. The Mobil 1 alone is usually $10-$12.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I always figured it was normal because in some cases you can smell the gas or exhaust fumes in it. Plus if it were an older motor it could be cleaning junk out, but like you said no big stuff unless it was already in the pan.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, and it stil has it lubrication properties, but they do start to get weaker as the oil becomes diluted. You'll never sieze an engine that has oil in it no matter how old the oil is as long as your pump is working to circulate it. However, usning dirty oil and not filtered properly will run junk through your bearings then you get prematrue bearing wear therefore your motor doesn't last as long and thats the only reaoson it is important to ever change your oil. Thats all changing oil does it make your motor last longer by staying clean.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
I use rotella t 15W40 in everything even my lawnmowers
when it comes to filters i use either WIX or Baldwin nothing else. mowers and equipment is every 40 hours and trucks are every 4500 miles

For gasoline i go to the airport now and buy gas since there is no tax on it. cheaper and only comes in 100LL dyed blue no ethanol either! I filled up two days ago at 2.61 a gallon and filled two other 5 gallon cans for everything else.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
When in town I always fill up at the Quiktrip. If I'm out of town I try to find a Shell if possible. I wish Quiktrips were all over but heading east once I get past St Louis there's not one to be found and not any West of Topeka, Ks either I don't think.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I try to buy my fuel exclusively from ExxonMobile. However, if I am in the right part of town, I'll fill up at BJ's. My thinking is that there should be a consistency in the fuel from across the brand, even though I know most of the stations around here get their fuel from a third party distributor. Also, if I ever have a problem related to my fuel, I know where I bought it from.

Shell usually has the most expensive fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay