How often do you change your oil ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So here is a topic we will hear many differant opinions. I'm sure we'll also have some disagreements. But here is the topic for discussion, and can also include what brands, weight grades, and type of oil you use.

For me, depends on the type of oil and filter I am using. Normally with conventional oil and a basic oil filter installed, like a Wix, cheaper Purolater, STP or even Wally brand Super Tech, I will change my oil between 4500 and 5000 miles.

If I have installed Full Synthetic, which if I do, I will only use a good high dollar Mobil 1 filter, I will keep that oil in for 10,000 miles. Sounds crazy I know, but I have no problem doing it, and I run it in my box van that does not have any leaks, does not burn oil and has 168,000 on it now and still runs like a new truck.

Oil formulations have changed drastically over the years and there are many misconceptions about motor oil. I know people who will not drive their car that have 3200 miles since their last oil change and won't drive it untill the oil is changed in fear of blowing up their motor since its 200 miles past due. That's the good old auto repair shops, and oil manufactures that make money selling oil scaring the hell outta people.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I use penzoil 5w-30 with an ac delco oil filter and change it every 3k miles or so. Probably too often my habits are hard to break. When I was driving 1000 miles a week a few years back I'd extend the changes to every 6k miles or more because all my drivin was hwy driving.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
we usually don't put that many miles on one a year, even though it says 3 months or 3k miles. Usually twice a year for us. The wife's car has that change engine oil light and when it comes on we change it. I do the 88 at the same time since I changed oil in them around the same time when my truck was due for it's first. My old man does his about once a year. We use gtx, but the price jumped out of sight so this time dad used penzoil high mileage(even though it aint) and we used super tech/wal-mart brand. Usually use a fram filter(everyone hates and bashes them) never had a problem. Now I'm using supertech filters though. I do plan to change more often using the cheap stuff though.

Now a word on gtx, whether ppl like it or not here's our story....

One day going to the dump, maybe 25 round trip or so, about half way there when you let off the gas in the 84 the mech. oil pressure gauge read zero psi, started getting scared. Got to the scales and it was backed up, pressure was zero, told old man he'd better shut it down and not sit there idleing, he was putting his foot on the gas trying to bring it up but it wasn't helping. it wasn't knocking or anything, he shut it down, went to fire it back up about 5 minutes later and it was dragging bad, turning very slow, then it started, we were afraid it was gonna spin a bearing or lock up, well we dump, pull around and check it, nothing on the stick. So we have to borrow my mom's car,(she works at the dump) got some oil from the gas station, took 3 quarts to put it back up on full I think, been fine ever since, no knocks or low oil pressure. We just recently changed the oil to the above, penzoil high mileage to get rid of the cheap gas station crap.
My dad swears that the gtx done a good job, stayed stuck to the vital parts and that's why it's not knocking or messed up thanks to the good oil. Still have no clue where 3 or more quarts went. I know the front seal leaks some, maybe 1/2 quart every 6 months or so, but he hadn't checked it in a year probably and it ended up being that low. Plus he drove more then we did before too. So it's pretty much time to fix that leak.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
we usually don't put that many miles on one a year, even though it says 3 months or 3k miles. Usually twice a year for us. The wife's car has that change engine oil light and when it comes on we change it. I do the 88 at the same time since I changed oil in them around the same time when my truck was due for it's first. My old man does his about once a year. We use gtx, but the price jumped out of sight so this time dad used penzoil high mileage(even though it aint) and we used super tech/wal-mart brand. Usually use a fram filter(everyone hates and bashes them) never had a problem. Now I'm using supertech filters though. I do plan to change more often using the cheap stuff though.

Now a word on gtx, whether ppl like it or not here's our story....

One day going to the dump, maybe 25 round trip or so, about half way there when you let off the gas in the 84 the mech. oil pressure gauge read zero psi, started getting scared. Got to the scales and it was backed up, pressure was zero, told old man he'd better shut it down and not sit there idleing, he was putting his foot on the gas trying to bring it up but it wasn't helping. it wasn't knocking or anything, he shut it down, went to fire it back up about 5 minutes later and it was dragging bad, turning very slow, then it started, we were afraid it was gonna spin a bearing or lock up, well we dump, pull around and check it, nothing on the stick. So we have to borrow my mom's car,(she works at the dump) got some oil from the gas station, took 3 quarts to put it back up on full I think, been fine ever since, no knocks or low oil pressure. We just recently changed the oil to the above, penzoil high mileage to get rid of the cheap gas station crap.
My dad swears that the gtx done a good job, stayed stuck to the vital parts and that's why it's not knocking or messed up thanks to the good oil. Still have no clue where 3 or more quarts went. I know the front seal leaks some, maybe 1/2 quart every 6 months or so, but he hadn't checked it in a year probably and it ended up being that low. Plus he drove more then we did before too. So it's pretty much time to fix that leak.

I'll assure you. In todays engines with very tight tolerances, you wouldn't have gotten by with that stunt, I don't care how good of oil you used in the past.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah, you guys got lucky that motor still runs, ****.

I change my oil every fall and spring, and I would say there is about 4,000 miles between changes. And I use store brand oil and Wix filters.:baby:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I met a guy from Europe one time, here in OKC. He had rented a car while here on vacation. He got to talking about how differant it is driving on the other side of the road etc and then onto his car at home. He was telling me in Europe that a quart of standard auto parts oil was $7-$8. That was back when we could still get a quart for $1.50. So if we are now paying $4.50 to $5 a quart, what are they paying in Europe? He also told me in Europe, where here we are preached to, to get our oil changed every 3,000 miles, they are preached to, to get their changed every 10,000 miles. So what's the differance in Europe cars and American cars? Differant motors right??? Nope, same engines. Its nothing more than American greed and more Ameican waste of resources as to why we have been raised to change our oil every 3,000 miles. I agree, the first oil change in a new motor, should probably be done in 1000 -3000 miles. After that, 5,000 should be minumum, but to do that, I'd want to be using a good oil filter.

Many are not aware, that motor oil will never wear out. NEVER !!! It will always retain lubrication properties no matter how long you leave it in your vehicle. The only reason its recommended to change your oil, is because its gets diluted which is where the viscosity starts to break down. But, it still will have lubrication properties. Its not oil getting old that does harm to your engine. Its the particles in your engine oil that do the harm. If you keep your oil clean, you can run your oil easily for 10,000 miles.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I need someone to take me out on a boat ride. A few summers back a group of us all went camping and boating. It was fun. I tried wake boarding for the first time. That was interesting :D
Continued in off topic thread....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea it runs fine. The thing runs 75 psi all the time when full. it used to run 125 cold and 75 warmed up when it was first built. I think old man put a high pressure pump in it, he claims it's a hi volume pump though. Only car we put alot of miles on is the wife's and that's going to doc. appointments and her parents. it sucked though we were stuck, not close to any oil or anything and almost there. normally we would have just shut it off right away, no clue why he didn't guess he thought it was a false reading? I think he said while driving it was going to 25 psi or higher, and when he was slowing up it went down to 10, I guess that's why he kept going, but I know it hit zero before the scales and he shut it down.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
With all you guys not driving we have almost no chance of ever having a GMSB meet anywhere!!! :Moon:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
With all you guys not driving we have almost no chance of ever having a GMSB meet anywhere!!! :Moon:
If gas goes back down to .99/gal, I'll make a special trip out in my SB Burban to visit ya bud. :High 5:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay