How easy is it to use Vortech heads on older small block?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
and than i can run my tbi?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Whoa !!! **** the bed Agnus !!! You see how much that TBI intake for Vortec heads is? I think I'd go either carb, or I would just do a Vortec motor swap and use the Vortec SFI harness. That's a pretty pricey intake to run TBI.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Got ya. Thanks guys I just like not having to dealing with jetting and such

82_black_k10

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
what vortec heads are the best to use

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
When you look at the casting numbers under the valve covers the ones ending in "906" are the best. "062" is supposed to be the same thing though.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
When you look at the casting numbers under the valve covers the ones ending in "906" are the best. "062" is supposed to be the same thing though.

It is my understanding that the 062 head came in the 2500 and up trucks and vans, I have also heard that there is something bad about the exhaust seats or something like that.
You know anything about that part?

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
carb yes tbi no

do you know for years..while they could do it.the police removed the fuel injection..on police cars...carbs.let them have more power and higher top end speed..i do not know why any one.would want fuel injection and a controlling computer..if you want that crap..go buy a new model truck..i think the vortec.valve covers.have bolts in the center.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
do you know for years..while they could do it.the police removed the fuel injection..on police cars...carbs.let them have more power and higher top end speed..i do not know why any one.would want fuel injection and a controlling computer..if you want that crap..go buy a new model truck..i think the vortec.valve covers.have bolts in the center.

Yeah, I mean, who wants more power, better starting, better reliability, lower emissions, and better gas mileage?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It is my understanding that the 062 head came in the 2500 and up trucks and vans, I have also heard that there is something bad about the exhaust seats or something like that.
You know anything about that part?

I haven't heard about the exhaust valve seat problems but I did hear one version had more valve shrouding (not sure which valve) that could be lightly milled to alleviate it and increase flow, didn't catch which version Vortec head it was though and never really worried much about that, my eyes glazed over at "bolt-on 40-50 horsepower!" lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I'd be happy as a pig in **** to run an OBD-2 computer system in my squares, BUT, I would prefer the Vortech SFI system over the TBI for sure. TBI also is only OBD-1. I'd even be happy to run an LS distributorless ignition system with 8 coils and MFI.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'd be happy as a pig in **** to run an OBD-2 computer system in my squares, BUT, I would prefer the Vortech SFI system over the TBI for sure. TBI also is only OBD-1. I'd even be happy to run an LS distributorless ignition system with 8 coils and MFI.

You can run a 411 Vortec ECM with a TPI manifold.... there is a guy that has been doing some awsome stuff in a p van with TBI and vortec heads. The LSx injection and coils have been don already, and run pretty good, just have to be careful, as the LS firing order is different than small blocks.

OP, you can run vortec heads with TBI, you just need a custom tune, maybe from TBI chips...I'm sure Brian has done enough TBI vortec tunes, that it shouldnt be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising