How do yall ground your Alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Just need information on how to add a ground to my Alternator. Should I use a ground Strap or an insulated wire?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Stock trim they usually ground to the engine block through the housing.

To upgrade add a heavy gauge wire to the frame or negative battery terminal

Stereo guys running big amps do the “Big 3”
- heavy gauge charge wire
- heavy gauge Alt ground to battery
- heavy gauge body ground

Or the big 5 which adds
- heavy gauge engine ground
- heavy gauge ground from battery to frame

Here’s mine partially done, one of the blue 4ga cables to the batt lug of the alternator and the alternator ground is 4ga to the frame. 0ga cables from the frame and fuse block to the battery.

You must be registered for see images attach

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Would it be ok to run my 6 awg ground wire to the block or frame? Instead of running it to the battery my alternator is now on the drivers side. 350 ho engine.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Would it be ok to run my 6 awg ground wire to the block or frame? Instead of running it to the battery my alternator is now on the drivers side. 350 ho engine.
Yes, not much point in running it to the block though. It’s already ground to the block through the mounting bolts

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The battery negative cable is attached to the engine block. If not, it should be.. The alternator is bolted solidly to the block. If not, it should be. This question begs to be asked --- Why do you need another ground path for the alternator??

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The battery negative cable is attached to the engine block. If not, it should be.. The alternator is bolted solidly to the block. If not, it should be. This question begs to be asked --- Why do you need another ground path for the alternator??
The Brackets on my truck are Aluminum holding the Alternator does this still ground the Alternator?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would use an insulated wire - never saw a strap used unless it was from a wiper motor or block to the chassis.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The Brackets on my truck are Aluminum holding the Alternator does this still ground the Alternator?
Think about it.. The alternator housing is aluminum.. Check out a factory stock aluminum accessory bracket on the engines equipped with a serpentine belt arrangement. From the factory, these have no "ground wire" attached to the alternator..

So to answer you question -- yes, your alternator is already properly grounded, so no additional grounding is necessary.. But if it will make you feel better, add some ground wires, including a ground wire for the alternator.. Put a ground wire on the starter and the horns.. Don't forget to put one on the steering column, distributor and radiator. All these components have aluminum as part of the assembly. The more parts you have, the more chances you have for something to fail...

All sarcasm aside.. You're overthinking and worrying excessively about this ground wire for your alternator.. Forget it and find something else to satisfy your A.D.D. I've explained how ground paths work, so I'm moving on to other more important issues.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Some companies recommend adding an alternator ground. Im guessing just the higher outputs. Mechman recommended I do it for their 170 amp.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I think some people are getting confused with aluminum conducting electricity (yes, does so very well) with magnetism (nope not at all). Maybe because the whole positive/negative thing for both, I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef