High pitched squeak in the front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i have an 83 k10. When driving, i hear a high pitched squeak coming from somewhere up front, i am assuming something to do with something down by the axle. Gets faster as you go faster, is usually there but sometimes if you brake a bit then go again its not there. Could be something rubbing, i have no clue. Any ideas?

Thanks!

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Can you check to confirm if it is vehicle speed or engine speed related?
While driving the truck put the trans in neutral to see if the noise stays constant with vehicle speed and rev the engine to see if it changes with engine speed.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I didn't have a chance to try that, but its certainly vehicle speed related, and not engine speed related. When you go faster, the noise is more constant, although it isn't always present (I dont think, bit hard to hear it over the noise of the exhaust).

buddy_1

Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
350 ci
Brake pad wear indicators?

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What about it?

And, i believe it has something to do with the brakes. Pads are good, have about half the meat left on them, but when i brake it squeaks. No big deal, doesn't really bother me and i know many other vehicles do that no matter what you replace to try and fix it. If im driving and i hear the squeaking noise, im able to tap the brakes a good bit and let go quickly and it stops the squeaking till i apply the brakes again. I'm thinking that th brakes arn't fully disengaging, and the noise is just the squeaky brakes being very slightly applied. IDoes this sound right or give anyone any ideas?

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
What you report is a textbook brake wear indicator sound.

Sometimes those brake wear indicating tabs are set too far in.

The brake reman people intentionally set them that way. The result is that they start to make the squealing noise way too early - even when there is plenty of pad material left. This causes pre-mature pad replacement and an increase in sales.

Try bending them back just a bit, take it for a drive and see if the noise abates.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What you report is a textbook brake wear indicator sound.

Sometimes those brake wear indicating tabs are set too far in.

The brake reman people intentionally set them that way. The result is that they start to make the squealing noise way too early - even when there is plenty of pad material left. This causes pre-mature pad replacement and an increase in sales.

Try bending them back just a bit, take it for a drive and see if the noise abates.

Sorry, completely forgot about this thread!

So, i went to look for the indicators, but i dont see them anywhere... where can i find them at to bend them back?

Thanks!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
On the brake pads. Note they are there for a reason and you know the pad could crack

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The pads have about half the meat left on them, so i dont see why they would crack unless they were worn more.

Raining now so i cant go look, but so i visually know what to look for, is it like this:
http://www.youfixcars.com/images/pad-wear-indicator.jpg

Or, is it more like this:
http://i.ehow.com/images/a02/70/91/checking-wear-indicator-brake-pads-800x800.jpg

If its like the second one, i looked hard and didnt see anything like it..

Do you have to remove anything to see the indicator, or can you just go under the truck and see it?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody