High beam switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
With help from the board I have my steering column just about figured out. Thanks again for the pics of the spring for the sector gear, found what i was missing. I still have a issue with the high beam switch. It turns out that I have been installing it correctly this whole time.

My issue is that wiper switch moves almost all of its travel when I pull it towards me to actuate the high beams before it moves the rod. The switch works, I tested by manually pressing it with a screw driver. The white switch is on the lower steering column and I was wondering if anyone has a quick fix. It doesn't look adjustable but if I could move it up a quarter of an inch, i bet it would work. Any ideas?

Also, I have a quad headlight setup. Are the high beams suppossed to be on the bottom? When I turn on the high beams the upper lights (low beams) stay on very dim, producing no useable light. Is this normal? Thanks in advance

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That happened to me when I did my column. I bent the rod by accident and couldn't get it back to shape for the life of me. So I had to replace it.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Sounds like you pluged the lights in backwards, the low beams are suposed to be on top(3prong) high beams on bottom(2prong)

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Sounds like you pluged the lights in backwards, the low beams are suposed to be on top(3prong) high beams on bottom(2prong)

That is the way the truck came to me. The high beams are on the bottom, I was just wondering why the low beams only come on barely lit when the high beams are engaged. I'll have to take a look at it tommorrow.

I was afraid the rod might have been tweaked. Once again, it came that way. I will try to get a pair of vice grips and adjust it tommorrow, otherwise I guess I'll get a new one. Thanks

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Got it! I tweaked the rod for the high beam switch. Took two days of trying and giving up but I got it just right today. Put it all back together and everything except the horn seems to be working. Even the blue idicator lights for the high beam work. Thanks again

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Glad to hear, thanks for reporting back. :)

Yukonjack

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500 Sierra classic dually
Engine Size
High beam switch rod

Hello all, I am having the same problem with high beams not actuating. I took off the lower dash trim and see the rod moving. It is so close to engaging the switch. I can switch it by hand. So the switch is good. The rods pushes down but is just shy of working. I see a bolt securing the switch bracket on top of the column. It looks like a pia to get to. If I loosen that can I adjust the switch back a bit and tighten it back Dow or is it a one position bolt hole?
I am trying to avoid tearing everything apart, aren't we all. The bar pushes to the point where it has a hair further to go before actuating. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 811

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is there just a smidge of adjustment on the switch where it screws down to the column?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That is a great question that I do not have the answer to. Too bad I am at work, I got a column laying in the garage at home. :rolleyes:

Yukonjack

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500 Sierra classic dually
Engine Size
I can just see the top of the bolt that holds the switch assembly in place. I will have to wait to get the right size wrench at home. I'm hoping there is an allowance to loosen the bolt, slide the bracket up just a bit and tighten er up. Might be too big of a wish.

87gunmetalsilvy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I can just see the top of the bolt that holds the switch assembly in place. I will have to wait to get the right size wrench at home. I'm hoping there is an allowance to loosen the bolt, slide the bracket up just a bit and tighten er up. Might be too big of a wish.

You can loosen up the bolts on it and adjust it I just fixed mine took me a little bit to get the adjustment right but it works great now I had to get a new switch because mine was so hard to push the new one works great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486