Help stop theft 87 V10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Let's not muck up this thread with this..... It was good discussion and the comment in question probably had no ill will behind it.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
George is right guys. FWIW- I, along with most of you, would be mad as hell if some lowlife POS stole my truck. I don't care what color, weight, handedness, None of that BS and I suspect that it wouldn't matter to you guys either. It is the thought of somebody stealing something that is dear to me that would set me off. Just sayin...

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
My question was why is black or heavy set relevant to a truck getting stolen? What if the thief was bald, had tatoos, had a mustache etc.?

What about blood type A, B, C etc. What about left-handedness vs. right handedness?

Seriously man, it's getting old. Climb up someone else's tree. You're attempting to defend the scum of the earth via some keyboard based PC soapbox.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Air bag the truck to lay it on the frame...bypass the ignition with a shut off switch to eliminate power suply...install a detachable steering wheel. If it can't be started, driven, or towed....it will slow most people down and have the would be thieves scratching their heads...remember, thieves are looking for an easy target vehicle. Nothing will absolutely keep someone wo really wants the vehicle from taking it.

I personally like the idea of installing a pressure switch attached to a cube of c4 under the seat...no thief...no truck, but one less low life walking the streets.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I personally like the idea of installing a pressure switch attached to a cube of c4 under the seat...no thief...no truck, but one less low life walking the streets.
:waytogo:

I have always wanted to install a fuel injector facing the driver, and a spark plug with a hidden button that disconnects them.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I would like to do something visually deterrent but haven't yet bought the steering column guard.

My current theft prevention device is a trailer coupler lock. I've got a side post battery. When I'm in an area where I want more protection I remove the negative battery post bolt and then insert the trailer coupler lock through the hole in the negative battery cable. I then take the battery post bolt with me. It's not completely foolproof, but they'd have to cut the lock and have a spare battery post bolt to take the truck. Doing this does mess up your settings if you have a newer stereo.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, since you have an '87, you have a couple of ways to go about it. If your truck still has the tbi fuel i jection, you could run a hidden kill switch to the fuel pump. The other option is a kill switch for the starter. Both for double protection.

The fuel pump switch is great. The starter kill not so much since many times on a hot wire, the their is going to use a screwdriver and cross the solenoid anyway depending on their method.

As far other locks and more variables, Don't even sweat that. It is what is, and MOST theives after these trucks use a slide hammer and pop the ignition cylinder out. That's how we repossed them in the 80's. 15 - 30 seconds and it's started up with unlocked steering column and ready to drive.

I'd do the fuel pump switch, and I'd also splice into the positive side of the coil hot wire and put a switch to ground. With the fuel pump switch OFF, the pump won't work, with the ground to + coil switch ON, the coil is grounded and the distributor can't get any spark. Someone else might confirm or deny the safety of that coil switch though. I did it to my older truck running a Mallory Dual Point dizzy, but I'd want to make sure the grounding of the coil can't cook your HEI ignition module. I don't believe the 2 are related at all so you should be fine.

If they are to stolen by tow truck which is common these days, not much you can do about that. The crooks know the steering wheels will lock, so they hook up to the rear wheels and drive off knowing the front wheel will only turn so far before the steering wheel locks and they don't have to rope it off. With that said, You could always turn your wheels half way to the left or right before shutting the truck off so if one was to steal it by tow truck, they'll be dog tracking badly and maybe even bad enough they'll pass and move onto the next one unless they want to Slim Jim it and pop the ignition to straighten the wheels, but most won't take the time.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well couldnt you just pop out the ECMI and/or the ECMB fuse and take it with you? Id imagine the truck wont start without those, and if it won't; I doubt the fuse panel is the first place a thief will look. Nobody carries extra fuses on them anyway.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Pulling a fuse would be a lot easier than the emc, but still a pita every time you get in or out. Hidden kill switch is the most user friendly after installing.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Those removable wheel adapters are neat, but I don't recall if they allow use of a factory wheel (myself being one of the strange ones who likes the factory style ), but the last one I saw, seemed to add a couple inches to the column length. Brought the steering wheel closer to the driver. Might not be an issue if you haven't spent the amount of time enjoying craft beer, pizza, and burgers like I have. Lol.

Emgeem

Reaction score
First Name
Monte
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
350ci
Those removable wheel adapters are neat, but I don't recall if they allow use of a factory wheel (myself being one of the strange ones who likes the factory style ), but the last one I saw, seemed to add a couple inches to the column length. Brought the steering wheel closer to the driver. Might not be an issue if you haven't spent the amount of time enjoying craft beer, pizza, and burgers like I have. Lol.

It does move the steering wheel closer to the driver but when I had one on my '66 the column was a tilt column so I had it raised just a touch. I also ran a smaller Grant wheel. Not sure about using the stock wheel on it.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Seriously man, it's getting old. Climb up someone else's tree. You're attempting to defend the scum of the earth via some keyboard based PC soapbox.

Sorry, but i WILL NOT drop it because it's too important. It's 2016, not 1816.

The only thing getting old is prejudice (not saying you were).

i was in no way defending the thieves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes