Help! Pinion Bearing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
So my Pinion seal is leaking on the dana 44. Since I am going through it I figure I might as well replace it as well. So I tear into it and replace the seal. I notice that there is some play in the pinion gear. Hmmm.

So my question is this- Is the pinion supposed to have some up and down play?

I am thinking that the bearing is worn and needs replaced. Everything on the front end points to it being original and nothing replaced inside. I figure since it is a 78 model it will probably need replaced. What do you guys think? :popcorn:

BTW- I have never set up a ring and pinion so this will be a learning experience for me. I checked the ring gear for any side to side movement and there is none. I thought it should move a little but it did not move any.

I am ready for a beer or two and I don't drink.. Someone can drink several for me......

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
There shouldn't be any play in the pinion or the carrier. Redoing a diff gets pretty involved with all of the clearances and measurements that have to be made, and there are a few special tools that you'll need.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
There shouldn't be any play in the pinion or the carrier. Redoing a diff gets pretty involved with all of the clearances and measurements that have to be made, and there are a few special tools that you'll need.

Yeah that is what I thought. I was afraid of that. I picked up a dial indicator from HF the other day. I thought this might happen. Thanks.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You know it seems like a dark art to do ring and pinion setups but honestly it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do and honestly something that I'd be interested in learning.

And unfortunately you own a 40 year old truck and they cause us frustration.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
You know it seems like a dark art to do ring and pinion setups but honestly it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do and honestly something that I'd be interested in learning.

And unfortunately you own a 40 year old truck and they cause us frustration.

Cmon down and you can learn with me...:):):):) Ahh I am going outside and beat my head on a tree now...:mad:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The D44 shop manual. Download from Deposit files (no PW):

You must be registered for see images attach

http://depositfiles.com/files/zs5ob5uct

For help downloading from DF (it's free and safe) see post #8 here:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6290

Or get it straight from Spicer:

The complete repair procedures from Dana for axles used in Our square bodies and others too,including the Dana 44 and 60 series, rear and front steering axles including hubs too.There is even one on the "Corporate" axles too.

http://spicerparts.com/literature/li...der=ASC&=Apply

Thanks to MrMarty51 for the research and the link.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I look at it as being more intimidating than building a motor for some reason, in all reality its not that bad its just tedious and you have to have lots of patience. Dial indicator is a good start, you'll need a press unless you can take the pinion to a shop you trust. The biggest thing that sucks to do by yourself is crush the crush sleeve on your pinion when installing the flange you need a big long bar with a slot in it to put two bolts into the flange and then the bar will be how you hold the pinion still while torqueing down the nut, it takes quite a bit of effort the last time I did it, it took two people I think its like 160 ft lbs or something like that and you if you go past the crush spec you have to start over with a new sleeve. That's just one of the steps too haha

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The D44 shop manual. Download from Deposit files (no PW):

You must be registered for see images attach

http://depositfiles.com/files/zs5ob5uct

For help downloading from DF (it's free and safe) see post #8 here:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6290

Or get it straight from Spicer:

The complete repair procedures from Dana for axles used in Our square bodies and others too,including the Dana 44 and 60 series, rear and front steering axles including hubs too.There is even one on the "Corporate" axles too.

http://spicerparts.com/literature/li...der=ASC&=Apply

Thanks to MrMarty51 for the research and the link.

All of those links except DepositFile gives me "page not found"

DepositFile is I dunno lol

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Last edited:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I look at it as being more intimidating than building a motor for some reason, in all reality its not that bad its just tedious and you have to have lots of patience. Dial indicator is a good start, you'll need a press unless you can take the pinion to a shop you trust. The biggest thing that sucks to do by yourself is crush the crush sleeve on your pinion when installing the flange you need a big long bar with a slot in it to put two bolts into the flange and then the bar will be how you hold the pinion still while torqueing down the nut, it takes quite a bit of effort the last time I did it, it took two people I think its like 160 ft lbs or something like that and you if you go past the crush spec you have to start over with a new sleeve. That's just one of the steps too haha

I agree with you. I would much rather build a engine. My neighbor has a 12 ton shop press so that is no problem. I helped a friend of mine set up the rear end in this truck and the crush sleeve was the hardest part of the job. I think that is why I am dreading this project.

In the old days I would have looked around and bought another front end to roll under the truck. That is not an option in this day and age due to the age of the truck. It seems that parts are getting harder to find around here at least. Oh well I will press on..:)

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Oh well I will press on..

Hahaha, I get it - "press on"

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I ordered a master install kit for a dana 44 from Summit. It has everything except a new ring and pinion gear. I talked to my neighbor about using his press. He said no problem so that is taken care of. I have a craftsman inch pound torque wrench that starts at 25 inch pounds. I have the dial indicator from HF. I am really dreading this job. It will be a good learning experience for my son and I though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1