Help me ID these wire connections...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I picked up an 87 V20 4x4 on the cheap since it had a toast transfer case. It runs like poo poo but I'm slowly chipping away at the issues, I just rebuilt my transfer case so I've been driving it but it is running terrible. Super bogged down and getting about 5 miles a gallon. Im thinking the timing is off. I currently have it apart doing new intake gaskets and water pump (they were leaking)

I have two wires connections (plugs) that arent connected to anything. Im assuming one is for the o2 sensor since it has aftermarket headers. but I really don't know.

please help me figure out where these should be going....

Also any tips for trouble shooting a rough running TBI? I'm new to TBI

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The second one looks like the connector for the smog pump diverter valve so I'm assuming that was deleted. The first one I haven't seen before. I know what the connectors look like for all the sensors, the switches, and most every other electrical thing under there, but that one doesn't even look vaguely familiar. If there's a number on there, that would help. I think I can help you on getting it running better. It's important to make sure you have good fuel, air, and spark just like anything. I'd check the fuel pressure where the fuel filter goes and replace the filter. You want to see in the neighborhood of 13 pounds. I'd say eleven is the borderline, and anything less means replace the pump. Also make sure that your injectors are giving you a nice conical spray pattern. Anything drippy or otherwise sloppy either while it's running or after you turn it off is a problem with the TBI unit itself. A lot of people rebuild the TBI unit when they first buy the truck or car, and I think it's good, cheap, and easy preventative maintenance. With spark, you want to just tune it up. Plugs, cap, and rotor for sure. If the wires look iffy, I'd probably do those, too. I use all AC Delco ignition parts, and I suggest the same of anyone. Timing is important. I would try eight degrees BTDC and see how that treats you. Don't feel bad if you need to retard it a little, though. With air, make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. The vacuum stuff is simple with TBI. Just do a visual inspection moving away from the TBI. It would probably be a good idea to replace the base gasket, too, as those are relatively fragile. If it's a high mileage vehicle, I can 99.9% guarantee that you have throttle shaft slop, which causes a vacuum leak. Not too serious, but I had bushings put in both the TBI in my Jimmy and the Quadrajet in my car to get rid of that. The sensors on TBI are just as important. Do you have a Service Engine Soon light coming on at all? That's a good clue in diagnosing sensor issues. If you don't have an oxygen sensor, you need one. I would check really well, and if there's not one, you'll have to weld a sensor bung, which I would do before the collector on the headers if it were me. A good post-purchase tune up item for TBI is the Coolant Temp Sensor, which I see threaded into the manifold in one of your pictures. What I'm thinking is that a sensor is not working right or not hooked up, and you're running in limp home mode, which uses very rich and inefficient mixture tables for the purpose of getting you to where you can stop if something's not right. This coupled with one or more minor problems is what I would be looking for. If you do have an SES light, you can get a paperclip, jump the two top right hand terminals on the diagnostic connector, turn the key on, and it's gonna do a series of flashes that you count to determine the code it's telling you. They flash in a series of three, and it stores three codes, plus a Code 12 (one flash, pause, two flashes) at the beginning and end of the sequence of trouble codes, which will also flash in a series of three.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
First on looks to be ac, correct color for ac connector as well

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those are my thoughts too. One for the AC compressor and the other was for the smog pump diverter.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You got it all splained out.
Welcome to the forum J.

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Wow thanks everyone! In reply to GMC JIMMY.... It definitely feels like its in limp mode. The only code its been flashing is O2 sensor. Is the o2 sensor really going to kick it into limp mode? i always thought they had a default setting it would go to incase the sensor failed.

I have my intake sitting on my garage floor right now so ill replace the intake temp sensor. Once I get it all back together I'll start checking the fuel system and working my way down the list. I really appreciate the road map. When taking it apart all the vacuum lines seemed fairly new and soft still, but ill search more thorough.

I did notice it has a throttle body spacer, I've never used one and always felt they are gimmicks. does it cause any issues?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Wow thanks everyone! In reply to GMC JIMMY.... It definitely feels like its in limp mode. The only code its been flashing is O2 sensor. Is the o2 sensor really going to kick it into limp mode? i always thought they had a default setting it would go to incase the sensor failed.

I have my intake sitting on my garage floor right now so ill replace the intake temp sensor. Once I get it all back together I'll start checking the fuel system and working my way down the list. I really appreciate the road map. When taking it apart all the vacuum lines seemed fairly new and soft still, but ill search more thorough.

I did notice it has a throttle body spacer, I've never used one and always felt they are gimmicks. does it cause any issues?

Maybe not necessarily limp mode in that case, but I'd say definitely open loop operation, which is basically how it runs when it's cold, and it'll just keep running that way, which is almost as bad. There could be a combination of issues, as well, but not having a sensor is where you want to start. I used to suggest that people with headers do a heated O2 sensor, but people on here have had problems to the extent where I won't make that recommendation. I do recommend you install the bung before the collector flange so it gets as much heat as possible, and it broadcasts accurately. Also, spacers do have a marginal performance/economy improvement on TBI and carbureted vehicles. They are, however, a gimmick on a dry manifold system (TPI, MPFI, CFI, and the like)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm also glad that the wiring issue was sorted out. I've not seen one like that before. The ones I've seen are flat and sometimes have the diode exposed.

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
So i need to get an o2 sensor welded to my headers. I can make that happen. question is...

-Where do I find the wire for the o2 sensor on my truck?
-What o2 sensor should I be using?
-best location to mount it? I have a decent amount of room, the headers aren't huge.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So i need to get an o2 sensor welded to my headers. I can make that happen. question is...

-Where do I find the wire for the o2 sensor on my truck?
-What o2 sensor should I be using?
-best location to mount it? I have a decent amount of room, the headers aren't huge.
You just need an O2 sensor bung welded in not the whole sensor

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
You just need an O2 sensor bung welded in not the whole sensor

haha yes I guess I worded that incorrectly, my bad. I'm definitely NOT welding an o2 sensor. I'm gonna drill a hole into my header, weld the bung to it and and screw the o2 sensor in. Then plug it into the wiring.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
haha yes I guess I worded that incorrectly, my bad. I'm definitely NOT welding an o2 sensor. I'm gonna drill a hole into my header, weld the bung to it and and screw the o2 sensor in. Then plug it into the wiring.
I was just screwing with ya. I figured you knew not to weld the sensor in. Lol

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I was just screwing with ya. I figured you knew not to weld the sensor in. Lol

Well I'm gonna go weld a ton of o2 sensors all over my truck and yell at you when it doesn't run better!

Also ill look super cool

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well I'm gonna go weld a ton of o2 sensors all over my truck and yell at you when it doesn't run better!

Also ill look super cool
Careful it may look like a bunch of tampons sticking out of it if they have the wires on them.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad