Help me ID these wire connections...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Oh yeah, that makes sense. Even though it's designed to be really tight since there's no screws like an HEI rotor, it'd be hard to not push the rotor down on the shaft all the way so yours maybe worth looking into. Good eye. I looked at those pictures, and never saw the particulates slung everywhere or the machining and the shavings on the rotor.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh yeah, that makes sense. Even though it's designed to be really tight since there's no screws like an HEI rotor, it'd be hard to not push the rotor down on the shaft all the way so yours maybe worth looking into. Good eye. I looked at those pictures, and never saw the particulates slung everywhere or the machining and the shavings on the rotor.
Idk I like looking for Waldo in everything lol

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Hey were only focusing on one crappy part of my truck at a time! stay focused! ..... lol i believe it started carving into the cap because the rotor was not down the shaft far enough. The shaft was very rusty and I think the P/O slapped a new rotor on but didn't investigate if it was fully seated. When I had the dist out I was test seating the rotor and it would not go down even with some heavy force. I sprayed and scrubbed it until I got to clean metal. It seated all the way once cleaned but still was tight.

but anyhoo.... I set the timing to 8 btdc when the engine was at temp, it seemed happy and throttle response was waaayyy better. This morning try to fire up to get to work and just cranking no firing. Didn't have much time to screw around so I just retarded it a notch or so (Winging it by hand) and it fired up. and stumbled to work. I threw my timing light in the truck so i can set the timing before heading home.

why would it run good at 8 but not start?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey were only focusing on one crappy part of my truck at a time! stay focused! ..... lol i believe it started carving into the cap because the rotor was not down the shaft far enough. The shaft was very rusty and I think the P/O slapped a new rotor on but didn't investigate if it was fully seated. When I had the dist out I was test seating the rotor and it would not go down even with some heavy force. I sprayed and scrubbed it until I got to clean metal. It seated all the way once cleaned but still was tight.

but anyhoo.... I set the timing to 8 btdc when the engine was at temp, it seemed happy and throttle response was waaayyy better. This morning try to fire up to get to work and just cranking no firing. Didn't have much time to screw around so I just retarded it a notch or so (Winging it by hand) and it fired up. and stumbled to work. I threw my timing light in the truck so i can set the timing before heading home.

why would it run good at 8 but not start?
Harmonic balancer might be slipped off mark.
Best to st timing by kickback when starting, then retard until no more kick back, road test to be sure it does not ping, if so, set back timing until it just quits pinging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes