Heavy Half Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Letters

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
Measured from the center of the axle to the center of the yoke and it's 1.5" longer, which takes the driveshaft movement down to about half an inch (slightly over)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya you should have at least 2-3 " of travel available. I would say it is too long

Letters

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
Alright, I'll have to get a couple inches cut out then.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Picked up a 14 bolt sf 8 lug in pretty good condition. The perches are wrong but that's not too big of a deal, and I have someone I can trade my 6 lug wheels to for 8 lugs. I plan on doing the normal axle maintenance on it as well when it goes in.

Will I need to do anything to the driveshaft?
Edit: 350/sm465/np205 with 52" springs

Thanks for all the help so far

Wait?!?! So you're saying your perches are wrong for a 14 Bolt Semi Float to your half ton? Why is that? 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton have the same spacing. The SF was only in the 3/4 tons, so it should be a direct bolt in. Yes, you will have to do some driveshaft work. I'm not positive on the difference of a 10 bolt and 14b Semi Float. Ogre sugests it's 1.5 inches. What I know is, the difference between the 14B Full Floater and 14B Semi Float is about 7/8 - 1 inch with the Semi Float needing the shorter drive shaft. Soooooooooo with that being said, if the difference between 10b and 14b SF is 1.5 inches, maybe if you found a shaft out of a truck with the same powertrain and a 14b Full Float rear axle, then you might have a good chance of it fitting. The other good news by doing that would be, the U joint is going to be correct too. I'd say you have a good chance if your output on the Tcase is a slip yoke. If it's fixed yoke, and you have the slip in the driveshaft, you might luck out and it fit but just have to get a special conversion U joint to be able to use your old shaft.

I may have failed to see if you mentioned that you had fixed or slipped yoke on your NP205. Those came in both flavors. Fixed and Slip.

Letters

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
Everything I have is fixed yoke. The perches are too wide by 7", and considering what you said I have no idea why. The guy I bought the axle off of had a 3/4 square body project he was parting out but I'm not sure if he ever had it on the truck. My current 10-bolt has two sets of perches, but I don't know where it came from.

It's going to be a while anyway, it has 4.56 gears which is good but after checking it out more I'm not comfortable with using it with the condition the carrier is in, so I'll have to find new diff internals for it first. Housing, shafts, and brakes look good though.

The junkyard driveshaft is a good idea, when I'm looking for the carrier I'll see what I can find.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like you probably have a later model rear axle. The dual perches is one set for the springs the other set is for bump stomps IIRC.

Letters

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
Can I use a ring gear from a 41:11 set with a pinion from a 41:9 set for 4.56? I'm guessing no...

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Can I use a ring gear from a 41:11 set with a pinion from a 41:9 set for 4.56? I'm guessing no...

In which axle? Some you can, some you can't all depends on where the cut off is. I know the cut off for the full float is 4.10 and numerically down as in 3.73, then the 4.56 and up numerically as in 4.88 or 5.13's so in a 14b Full Float the answer is NO. 10 bolt, I believe you can.

Letters

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
Looking at that picture it looks like you have more than 2" of travel No?

Right around 2", but that's the 10 bolt on there now. The picture is from my camera's panorama mode so if it looks much bigger than 2", it's just the picture.

In which axle? Some you can, some you can't all depends on where the cut off is. I know the cut off for the full float is 4.10 and numerically down as in 3.73, then the 4.56 and up numerically as in 4.88 or 5.13's so in a 14b Full Float the answer is NO. 10 bolt, I believe you can.

It would be for the 14 bolt semi float.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh I see. Not much room after the 14SF goes in

Letters

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
The axle swap is on the back burner for now, but is there a trick to pulling the carrier out of the 14sf? I removed the bearing caps and axle shafts, but it's not coming out easily. Is it just a matter of tying the axle down and breaking it loose, or is there a screw or something inside I'm missing? The diff works fine including the carrier rotating in the bearings, there's just some rust on one side of the carrier which makes me not want to use it. I found a carrier at the scrapyard that isn't rusty.

I'm also considering just reselling it and getting a 14ff for $140 from the scrapyard (found one with 4.56 that isn't rusty) since I only have about $40 into this axle. Typing that out, I might have just convinced myself to do that, but I'd still like to figure out how the SF comes apart, even if it's just to make it usable before reselling.

Last edited:

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
There is the adjustment nut which sets the carrier bearing preload which must be removed. Remove small bolt (~10mm) and retainer, unscrew adjustment nut to remove carrier preload. Carrier will now come right out.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Do the 14 sf require a differential case spreader like the 14 ff does?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aultinator