Heater Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So I got my new switch from RockAuto. Looks great. Put it in today and fixed a blown dash light bulb while I had it apart.

You must be registered for see images

Pulled out heater unit as far as it would go. The vacuum hose connecter felt like it was fused to the housing so I didn't fight trying to takk it off and risk breaking something. Just had to unplug the backlight bulb harness and it came out far enough to get to.

Plugged in the new switch. Each one of those wires in the connector engages 4 different brass strips that run into the switch housing. The old one I took off, the feed strip from the power wire was black and thin and ready to burn into nothing. I threw that out before I could take a pic. The wire and the connector looked ok. Hopefully this switch will be good for another 180,000 mi.

There is one screw that holds the switch to the housing, of course the head of it faces the front of the damn truck, so real bitch to get to it. Had to break out some trick tools, thank god for them, right?

Another tool that changed my life for the better. I want this Makita buried with me when I depart this world. :roflbow:

While I had it apart, I wanted to replace the Service Engine light bulb, it stopped working and I figured it was the bulb, and it was. More fun taking the dash apart and putting it back together. Nice time to also wipe down the guages and the covers too while it's apart. :flipthebird:

As always, big fingers and little screws in a dashboard are a comination perfect for aggravation. This little scew I dropped behind the dash finally showed itself after I fist slammed the bottom of the dash a few times. :High 5:

All done. :High 5:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Wow! Very detailed!! Thanks for the right up, man. This is what we need more of and hope to get more as the site gets older:)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I know you guys love your pictures. I'll put them up even if it doesn't mean anything just to give you guys sumtin to look at. :patriot:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I hope Bearpigman moves this to the technical part as a writeup. Your dash is incredibly clean man. I really dig it!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yes, more pics the better! We're very visual!!!! :)

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I like the pictures.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Can I get a really big favor?

Can you measure the face (height & length) of the HVAC controls for me please???

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Ah, darn. I appreciate that you would if only thought about it before you had everything apart. :)

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Ah, darn. I appreciate that you would if only thought about it before you had everything apart. :)

I never put my dash back together after my heater core and my control is just hangin out of the dash, I will go measure it in the morning. Or maybe in a few minutes if im bored.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Did you have to remove the gauges from the cluster to get at the bulbs or do you just like taking stuff apart? On my 85 the bulbs are accesable from the back of the cluster, they are in those little turn lock sockets. If you have to remove the gauge to replace bulbs on the 89 they really screwed up the dash redesign IMO.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did you have to remove the gauges from the cluster to get at the bulbs or do you just like taking stuff apart? On my 85 the bulbs are accesable from the back of the cluster, they are in those little turn lock sockets. If you have to remove the gauge to replace bulbs on the 89 they really screwed up the dash redesign IMO.
I already had the dash apart to do the heater switch. See, on the models with AC, there's a lot of **** in the way to reach up from under the dash to try and get to those bulb sockets on the back. I'd rather sit comfortably with a screw gun and do it from above. Plus, I got to open her up every year for inspection. :emotions33:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know you guys love your pictures. I'll put them up even if it doesn't mean anything just to give you guys sumtin to look at. :patriot:
Great Write Up and Pics.

Oh yeah !!! Pics are the bestest. Always makes the reading more enjoyable and the write up much eaiser to understand. And especially the tips about hidden screws and crap like that. Major big help in areas like that. You get enough write ups in one place, you can put Haynes and Chilton out of business. Now you need to share your hidden folder of pics with us !!!:roflbow:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks HR.