Head gasket but strange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
We can all agree though this is antifreeze mixed with oil though correct? Its not gear oil or anything. I have a 700r4 automatic and its leaking at the back of the motor nowhere near the diff.

You must be registered for see images attach

My truck has a power steering fluid leak and the moisture in the air makes the fluid look like this on the ground.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
But i can say it is leaking from the engine. Runs down where the fly wheel cover usually is (dont have one on) drops off of the two corners of that, where they run at a downward angle from the engine. I can post a pic of where exactly its dripping down if anybody is so interested in that

I am interested.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Flywheel area. Rear main leak?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I didn't pay $44! Half that?
That episode is detailed in the K5's build thread.

Whatever, i'm on Jerry's side - so if he wants to know I do too. :p

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Yes have considered the rear main although im prayin its not lol. Did have trouble with one valve cover though. New gasket, covers, even got the spreaders that go under the bolts to prevent warping. It almost seems to me that the corner of the head is worn down a hair maybe just from having a long, constant oil leak or something. But its been that way forever. And wasnt this much oil. Mostly my concern isnt the leak itself, its why the leak turned into this nasty snotty ****.

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Which again brings my point today of how strange this is. Like i said, you saw the picture of what it looked like before. Today? Straight plain old oil again. It rained on and off all day today. So i think the who condesation and mixing on the ground theory could be bust. Heres a pic of the leak just now after all day rain. Just oil. (Marlboro for size comparison)

Last edited:

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Oh and heres where the leak runs down. You can see on the left side where its about to drip off. Drivers side of that is always worse.

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Gonna pick up that UV dye and see what it does. Not sure about yall but thats new to me. An it sounds like the bomb diggity. Im sure most of yall wanna slap me for not figuring this out yet, but this is only my second project besides for a 67 k25 me and a buddy raised from the dead. So im in the learning process. Much appreciate those who are still here trying to assist in my efforts. Again, main concern isnt the leak. Its what and why whatever the strange "hawked loogie" mixture is on the ground.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Rain and condensation are two different things. Cold ground in suddenly warm weather is going to form condensation that can mix with the oil right there on the ground. While rain and neutralized ground temperatures is just going to get the truck wet.

How long does the truck have to sit to make those small spots on the ground?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Have you had a chance to check the oil pressure switch and sender for leakage:

While you are in the area, take a close look at the special fitting that they thread into. Cracks can develop where it threads into the block - also where the nipple and 90 are joined;

That wouldn't seem to explain why the oil on the ground sometimes appears milky. But the drip shown above - the one that is ready to fall - doesn't appear to be emulsified or aerated. And you have checked the distributor shaft gasket - correct?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No. Not for figuring it out, but if you think it will help...

Ahhh Jeez - that's Gosh Dang funny, I don't care who you are. When I read it, I chuckled harder than I have in a long time.

I only hope I can find a way to use it on one of my brain dead boys.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If it's got clean oil under it now, I think humidity caused the milky oil on the ground. Ironically, I saw this same thing under my truck yesterday but it was from trans fluid. It will happen from cold to hot temps outside.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Ahhh Jeez - that's Gosh Dang funny, I don't care who you are. When I read it, I chuckled harder than I have in a long time.

I only hope I can find a way to use it on one of my brain dead boys.

Thanks. Good to know i can make someone smile in this world of madness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64