Harsh shift from 1st to 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
NO TV/Detent cable on a Th400. Has an electric kickdown solenoid and that's all it does is downshift.

Ya I fugged up, I was thinking 700r4. :sorry:

Maineguy10

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
So I put a piece of fuel line as a new vacuum line just to see if that would help, and it solved my problem, so I must have pinched the hard line when I reinstalled the tranny, easy fix, I will run a new hard line tomorrow,
Thanks for the help!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I put a piece of fuel line as a new vacuum line just to see if that would help, and it solved my problem, so I must have pinched the hard line when I reinstalled the tranny, easy fix, I will run a new hard line tomorrow,
Thanks for the help!

That'll do it. Glad you got it resolved. But, now you know. There is only 3 things, provided the fluid level is good, that will delay shifts on a Th400. Vacuum Modulator or Vac to it, Governor malfunction, or stuck kickdown solenoid. And you don't have to have the kickdown connected either. Trans functions the same with or without it hooked up, EXCEPT it won't downshift into passing gear.

Maineguy10

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Awesome, thanks again hotrod, you were a great help, Lang with everyone else! Hopefully ill be able to pass along some knowledge someday too, good forums are such a great tool!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486