Got a Dodge squarebody!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
drop on with some 20" steelies painted like the originals and use the original caps and just cruise it as is
That's the EW part...

Drive it how it sits and just shine it up some, lift it a couple inches and do a slightly larger tire at most. Don't ruin the poor thing, it's too nice...

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
A reg cab long bed is the absolute longest vehicle you can put on a Uhaul trailer. Of course I told them I was hauling a Hyundai…or they wouldn’t rent it.
Glad it was local trip just from Lynnhood to home. 52mph max speed, that short little trailer get the uncontrollable wiggles at 53mph!
Hah I've had those things going damn near 100 several times. They're better than you give them credit for, never had an issue

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hah I've had those things going damn near 100 several times. They're better than you give them credit for, never had an issue
I had one lose a hub and wheel while towing my K5 on the interstate just inside of AZ from New Mexico. All we saw was a flaming ball pass us at 65 mph. Then it rolled off the highway and caught the only tree on fire in the while area. Fortunately a trooper drove by with a shovel and we were able to put the fire out in a few minutes. It took U-Haul 4 hours to bring a replacement trailer d/t location. They did take $350 off my bill though.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not with the weight distribution this one had, I’ll bet you your squarebody on it. Sure I drug it 90mph down the freeway empty, but that truck, and it had a bunch “free” “ballast” in the bed, didn’t put enough tongue weight on the truck to be stable. Period.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's the EW part...

Drive it how it sits and just shine it up some, lift it a couple inches and do a slightly larger tire at most. Don't ruin the poor thing, it's too nice...
If it was a 2wd a drop would be cool. Not on a 4 by 4 though.
Wished the wheels were in better shape. They look awesome, but about 1/4 of each bead is totally rusted out from sinking into the wet dirt for years.
However they all hold air 100% still because they’re tube tires not tubeless, lol.
You couldn’t even break the old tires off the rims without folding the rims in spots.
I do agree with the shine and drive though. Generally not a patina person as it’s often used to describe something that just looks like shiiit. Or faux-tina.
This truck is perfect patina though. Paint and body in excellent shape save for age and wear. It will polish up nicely with the bare and thin spots looking all patina like. Might even be worth a shot of clear over the whole thing.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had one lose a hub and wheel while towing my K5 on the interstate just inside of AZ from New Mexico. All we saw was a flaming ball pass us at 65 mph. Then it rolled off the highway and caught the only tree on fire in the while area. Fortunately a trooper drove by with a shovel and we were able to put the fire out in a few minutes. It took U-Haul 4 hours to bring a replacement trailer d/t location. They did take $350 off my bill though.
I’ve had some horrible Uhaul experiences in the past as well. Some of almost epic proportions as well. Haven’t rented a thing from them in many years though until now. I can say the whole Uhaul experience was pleasant and uneventful this time. And a bargain. Cost me $55 for a ready to load solution to get the truck home.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don"t try and pry a stuck distributor rotor off. Bend the dizzy shaft real easy. Then it only fires half the cylinders. Take a small ball pin hammer and hit stright down on the top. Pull the broken pieces out of the dizzy.

Check the firewall where the master cylinder mounts, they crack there. Radiator support cracks too.

Nice find!
Appreciate the advice.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Man this is killin me!! I have had MANY of these old Dodge trucks/Ramchargers. Good luck with it, try to save the old girl. Can I ask how you got it and how much?

One of them I stabbed a GM HEI distributor and CCC carb system off a mid 80's GM, really made a huge difference in drivability.
Is a HEI plug n go?
This has some goofy capacitor lookin thing on the coil wire position on the dist cap. Never seen before. Doesn’t look stock. Like some spark booster r something.
Also interesting “mod” is aftermarket dual shocks were installed all 4 corners. The rears are just doubled up parallel with the OE shocks.
The fronts are mounted at about 30 deg to horizontal, on the front side of the axle.
They have no range of motion really if the springs compress. But would compress if the front axle slid forward. More like some sort of stabilizers I’ve never seen before.
No pics. Not home for the next few days

I don’t usually talk money, but since you asked, I think it was a deal. Local Craigslist add. $3500
Took a bit of a leap that it will run, and it does, so I think it was a good deal.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did Dodge start paint matching them to U-Haul because they spent so much time getting towed?
You must be registered for see images attach
Holy fawk!!! I didn’t even notice that! OMG. That’s something my dad woulda said…love it!
Funny part is the truck is sposed to be bright red and white. Red is super faded.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's a great idea! Make it look like a u-haul
Truck from the period. That would be cool maybe lol
My first idea was make it a period looking campin/fishin rig. It is the Advnturer Sport trim after all… rack on top of the canopy with a row boat or canoe on it. Sitting up on 33s or 35s.
Another funny, guy didn’t want to unload all the schiiit in the bed. So there’s a new turtle topper for luggage, and a new zodiac style inflatable boat never out of the box and a generic new looking 3hp outboard. And a bunch of good scrap lumber AND the headliner in perfect condition. And some other junk I can’t see yet, I’m sure.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had 1977,damn good truck till i burnt it to the frame
That’s why it’s parked outside with the battery disconnected. Lol
Especially since the PO added gas to the in cab tank to try to get it running (he couldnt get it running…) and the bottom of the tank must be rusted out, because after towing it home, the tank is leaking oily looking goo that smells like 30 year old gas out of it. I think there must have been a tar paper type liner under the tank and the gas liquified it!
Cab needs gutted and cleaned. But you guys will schit your pants when you see the conditions of the sest and dash. Not even any wear n tear on the drivers side of the seat. And the dash is like new under the dust.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
This thread is the third or fourth time I’ve heard of first gen Dodges referred to as “square bodies”, I struggle with this. I like first gen Dodges but I feel like the “square body” moniker belongs to Chevy’s.

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Gonna hafta put your hat on upside down because every thing old dodge is backwards. Once you are in the zone, you can get some work done. Nice find for a flip, plentiful crowd follows them so you should do better than break even.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag