Got a Dodge squarebody!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This thread is the third or fourth time I’ve heard of first gen Dodges referred to as “square bodies”, I struggle with this. I like first gen Dodges but I feel like the “square body” moniker belongs to Chevy’s.
I said it as a joke. I didn’t know it was a thing.

dusterdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c15
Engine Size
Similar issue on a '77 Ramcharger, but it burned from the firewall back and gutted the interior. Worst part was it happened while a buddy of mine was driving it ...

Dam Dodge electrical. Never understood that as the vans had the fuse box inside as well and did not have electrical problems that I know of. Not sure if the vans ran an ammeter setup, though.:think:
Mine burning down was my fault,not dodges

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'll get some pictures for you, I know he's been having a hard time finding a gas tank.
Holy smokes. I just looked online at tanks. This truck the in cab tank is rotted out, not sure about the saddle tank. Interesting dual tanks were 1 cab tank and 1 saddle tank.
$250 for a cab tank $319 for a saddle tank!!!
God bless chevys!

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
Holy smokes. I just looked online at tanks. This truck the in cab tank is rotted out, not sure about the saddle tank. Interesting dual tanks were 1 cab tank and 1 saddle tank.
$250 for a cab tank $319 for a saddle tank!!!
God bless chevys!
Make a c10 tank fit.....lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Make a c10 tank fit.....lol
I think my buddy may have a couple laying around. He deleted the in cab tanks on all 3 of his 67-72 C10s.
Gotta be similar. More similar than the saddle tanks anyways. They’re about $70 cheaper than the Dodge tanks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is a HEI plug n go?
This has some goofy capacitor lookin thing on the coil wire position on the dist cap. Never seen before. Doesn’t look stock. Like some spark booster r something.
Also interesting “mod” is aftermarket dual shocks were installed all 4 corners. The rears are just doubled up parallel with the OE shocks.
The fronts are mounted at about 30 deg to horizontal, on the front side of the axle.
They have no range of motion really if the springs compress. But would compress if the front axle slid forward. More like some sort of stabilizers I’ve never seen before.
No pics. Not home for the next few days

I don’t usually talk money, but since you asked, I think it was a deal. Local Craigslist add. $3500
Took a bit of a leap that it will run, and it does, so I think it was a good deal.
Maybe installed as "kicker" shocks? Strange to hear that even done on the front springs.

At the time I macgyvered it and made one out of marrying an HEI top to a Mopar base and grinding the driveshaft to match the "Dodge slot". (HEI is gear driven.) That was a long time ago. They make them plug and play now.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe installed as "kicker" shocks? Strange to hear that even done on the front springs.

At the time I macgyvered it and made one out of marrying an HEI top to a Mopar base and grinding the driveshaft to match the "Dodge slot". (HEI is gear driven.) That was a long time ago. They make them plug and play now.

Hey that’s cool! I had no idea

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haven’t been home until tonight since I got the truck. Cab was a mess and wet inside but I couldn’t really dry it out with the floor mat and leaky tank in it.
It was driving me nuts that the in cab tank was not only leaking but liquified all the tar paper under the tank and smelled like turpentine but made a layer of tar goo everywhere on the floorboards.
Seats tank and seatbelt bolts all came right apart real nice. Gutted the cab out and a couple layers of degreaser and a garden hose, and now I can dry out the cab.
Only rust thru in the cab is the drivers side floor pan. Stoked about that. Passenger side is rusty but solid.
Doors and dash cleaned up very nice. Door panels are easily restorable. And look ok as is.
Really stoked about the truck. It needs zero interior parts except for a floor pan and a new floor mat. Seat and seatbelts are like new too. Gotta clean the seat still.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod