Good ignition system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
I have a built 383 stroker that I'm working on and am looking for a ignition system! I'd like to stay under $600. It would be awesome if you could give me some of the parts numbers of the stuff you use. Or possibly list the things you put together! Or would a kit be the easier way?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd say go with a genuine Delco HEI, use BWD Select brand pickup coil, condensor, Accel adj advance curve kit, DUI 60,000V coil and module, then go with Taylor 409 race wire and NGK V-groove plugs. You can easily do this for way under $600 and have a stout OEM style ignition system! One other trick I like to to to provide higher voltage to the coil is to use a high capacity relay to power the coil directly off the alternator charge post and this helps maintain a high coil voltage input.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
I'd say go with a genuine Delco HEI, use BWD Select brand pickup coil, condensor, Accel adj advance curve kit, DUI 60,000V coil and module, then go with Taylor 409 race wire and NGK V-groove plugs. You can easily do this for way under $600 and have a stout OEM style ignition system! One other trick I like to to to provide higher voltage to the coil is to use a high capacity relay to power the coil directly off the alternator charge post and this helps maintain a high coil voltage input.

Am I really going to wanna throw an OEM ignition system back in it? I could use what I had if I want to do that? Right?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Am I really going to wanna throw an OEM ignition system back in it? I could use what I had if I want to do that? Right?

For performance and longevity, you can't beat a GM HEI with a few upgrades. I'm not suggesting this as an armchair builder either-I re-build all of my own HEI distributors....the difference between stock GM and offshore cheap versions is huge IMO.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For performance and longevity, you can't beat a GM HEI with a few upgrades. I'm not suggesting this as an armchair builder either-I re-build all of my own HEI distributors....the difference between stock GM and offshore cheap versions is huge IMO.

^^^ This.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If you want to spend a bunch of money on an ignition system you can but a well setup factory HEI will do the job very well.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
ACDelco parts all the way is my opinion,

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
ACDelco is just a brand name anymore, unfortunately..

You must be registered for see images attach

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yep...and it's only gonna get worse for parts. GM is importing a fu@king Buick SUV built 100% in China next year I read! As cheap as parts can be made over there-before long all parts will be source from China in the future.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep...and it's only gonna get worse for parts. GM is importing a fu@king Buick SUV built 100% in China next year I read! As cheap as parts can be made over there-before long all parts will be source from China in the future.
Yep, I read that too, it's all going down the crapper..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06