Getting ready to do a major tune up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boostdtalon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-20
Engine Size
5.7L
Before I get the K-20. The current owner and I will be going through the truck and giving her a good tune up. Because the truck has set for a some time. He wants to pull the bed and clean the fuel tanks out. Now before we start this; is there anything we need to know about removing the sending units from the tanks? This is a 77' K-20 with duel tanks for anyone that hasn't read my intro thread.

Jeff Dodson

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well you can't get to the senders/pick up by removing the bed. Removing the bed will make it easier to get to the bolts to remove the tanks... But the tanks have to be removed to pull the pick ups out

boostdtalon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-20
Engine Size
5.7L
Ok, I think thats what he plans on doing. Thanks and I'll take note of that.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Those straps are a pain in the ass, whole job is a huge pain in the ass. What you guys are planning is way to much work. If you must have the gas out of the tank and the selector valve works pull a rubber hose and run a new one to a catch bin of some kind. Wrap a rag around a blowgun and pressurize the fuel tank, the fuel will just drain out without pulling the tank.

If you are worried about sediment in the tank just run a clear filter in the engine compartment and always carry an extra in the glovebox.

Depending on how long it sat... you might be able to just mix in some fresh fuel and run the tanks out. The new ethonal fuel does not keep very well but I just fired off a new motor in my truck with 7 month old gas in it, no problems. My 85 ran on 15 year old completely tarnished gas, that led to serious valve problems but it might have been different if I diluted the tarnished gas with fresh gas.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I'd avoid running old gas even if diluted. I had an old van that I had to rebuild the carb a couple of times because of old gas. I always put fuel stabilizer in gas for my boat and lawn equipment since they can sit for a few weeks without use. The Ethanol Gas Is Nasty Stuff And Absorbs water.

boostdtalon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-20
Engine Size
5.7L
The entire fuel system is getting flushed. That's why we want to drop fuel tanks. I've seen what bad gas can do.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1