General Engine Related Talk and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A code should be stored now, instead of just code 12 repeating, you should have code 12 and some other codes.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
A code should be stored now, instead of just code 12 repeating, you should have code 12 and some other codes.

IF he can get passed code 12. Anyone have a 7747 ecm that thats just laying in the Garage that we can send to John for him to try? All I have is a 7427 for 94-95.

Last edited:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
IF he can get passed code 12. Anyone have a 7747 ecm that thats just laying in the Garage that we can send to John for him to try? All I have is a 7427 for 94-95.

Wish this had happened a month ago. I've got one from my 87', but I'll need it in short order for my TBI swap into the 84'. :(

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Wish this had happened a month ago. I've got one from my 87', but I'll need it in short order for my TBI swap into the 84'. :(

Yeah, I thought about you, but know about the current transplant. I have already checked my local yard, buddy works the desk. they have only seen TBI cars the last 2 years, and the only truck they got was car b qued.
Plenty of car ecms, he counted 12.
I was hoping to catch the attention of someonethat may have switched to a carburetor, and may still have An ECM hiding behind their glove box. If I had one, He would have got it a few weeks ago.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah, mine stops spitting codes after the first 1 or 2 12 code flashes. The light starts freaking out or stops blinking all together. I got to hook the EGR up and see what happens.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Greasedog would probably be able to locate one, seems like I remember him having a bunch of TBI stuff for sale a while back.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I have one from a '92 Camaro RS 305 TBI, would that be the right one? It's at the old house, or I'd look for myself.

Yah, mine stops spitting codes after the first 1 or 2 12 code flashes. The light starts freaking out or stops blinking all together. I got to hook the EGR up and see what happens.

In my experience, a faulty or bypassed EGR will usually set a code during decel.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Noper...7747 specific to trucks. The cars use an incoming air temp sensor in the air cleaner.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have one from a '92 Camaro RS 305 TBI, would that be the right one? It's at the old house, or I'd look for myself.

In my experience, a faulty or bypassed EGR will usually set a code during decel.

I have been PM ******* back and forth with Jim, but I wanted to share here. I hooked it up last night (the EGR) and off idle it will spit and studder and want to die, which is the reason I unhooked it in the first place, However once it warmed up, it ran fine. Then last night I dropped the boat in for a few hours so the truck sat and cooled off. Started it up, loaded the boat, and when I went to pull out, same ****, and I actually almost wound up near stalling several times and heading right into the river. With that load on on the steep grade, it was dying with that EGR opening up. I made it up to the lot and put stuff away, by the time I was done and ready to head home, it ran fine.

So Jim and I are thinking it may be that control solenoid, so that is next on the list to check when I get a chance. In the mean time, I will have to disconnect it again to be able to safely pull out into traffic and up the boat ramp without getting killed lol...

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have been PM ******* back and forth with Jim, but I wanted to share here. I hooked it up last night (the EGR) and off idle it will spit and studder and want to die, which is the reason I unhooked it in the first place, However once it warmed up, it ran fine. Then last night I dropped the boat in for a few hours so the truck sat and cooled off. Started it up, loaded the boat, and when I went to pull out, same ****, and I actually almost wound up near stalling several times and heading right into the river. With that load on on the steep grade, it was dying with that EGR opening up. I made it up to the lot and put stuff away, by the time I was done and ready to head home, it ran fine.

So Jim and I are thinking it may be that control solenoid, so that is next on the list to check when I get a chance. In the mean time, I will have to disconnect it again to be able to safely pull out into traffic and up the boat ramp without getting killed lol...
Or install pontoons on the Burb.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Or install pontoons on the Burb.

Hahha, I'd be a pig in **** if this thing was Amphibious, then again, with all the rust holes ..... :roflbow: :roflbow: :roflbow: :roflbow:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I knew a guy in the mountains that had the foundation of a house boat. was just a platfor that had dyno type rollers, and swiveling looking wheel boxes up front. **** would drive his truck onto it,mwith everything he needed, camper on the bed. Fron wheels rolled int the wheel boxes, and hooked to the rudders, and the back wheels on the dyno type rollers(all aluminum drums) that were geared to a paddle wheel. sat in his cab, and drove around the lake.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I knew a guy in the mountains that had the foundation of a house boat. was just a platfor that had dyno type rollers, and swiveling looking wheel boxes up front. **** would drive his truck onto it,mwith everything he needed, camper on the bed. Fron wheels rolled int the wheel boxes, and hooked to the rudders, and the back wheels on the dyno type rolleres(all aluminum drums) that were geared to a paddle wheel. sat in his cab, and drove around the lake.

You know long I have been building something like that in my twisted mind? :roflbow:

If I ever have a money tree pop up in the back yard, first on my list is one of these bad boys: :cheers:

[yt]ghxpguCaBQs[/yt]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruggedly