Gasket Maker on Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On this ProFlo4 FI setup, they mention using a gasket maker on the front and back edge of where the FI setup (intake) sits. Actual gaskets everywhere else.

I can take a good guess on which Permatex to use, but just tossing this out there if anyone else has already BTDT. Not all gasket makers are alike.

THX

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
permatex ultra grey is all we ever use on the "china wall" when installing intakes. Set the intake in place with just the gaskets sitting on the heads and eye up the gap between the intake and the lifter valley "china wall" and determine how thick of a bead to lay down so you don't put on too much and have a big glob smoosh out and/or potentially fall into the intake valley. It'll probably be somewhere between 1/4"-3/8" thick. and then when you go to install it for real, lightly smear a little permatex around the water ports on the front and back of the heads and intake both and then install the gaskets, but before you set the intake down it's a good idea to take a little dab of the permatex right at the little tabs/fingers where the cylinder heads/gaskets meets the block so it'll ensure a good seal with no oil or water leaks.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
The Permatex 82180 should be an OE RTV sealant for GM vehicles. I've used this on those crappy plastic Vortec gaskets as well as on the older BBC and SBC engines. As bad as I hated to do it initially, I started discarding the rubber end pieces and using a bead of the sealer in place of them. This works great and I don't get comebacks due to leaking corners on either the oil pan or intake manifold.

Strickland

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The ultra gray and black I have seen mentioned with intakes. I just know regardless what the apps are, some are better than others.

This FI setup has actual gaskets that Edelbrock says to use some Gasgacinch on, but notes to use a 1/4" bead of gasket maker on the front and back edges. I bought some threaded rod and cut it down so there will be 6" tall "guides" to set the FI intake perfectly into place without any moving or shimmy. Then got actual intake bolts (from Edelbrock) to go in order/torque spec.

Anything they sold, I got just in the event there is any issues, they cant argue what I used. lol

Are these the areas (corners where the heads meet the block) you're referring to?

THX fellas!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I always use a punch to make a line of dimples on the wall and underside of the intake to give the sealer something to grab on to.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
for a visual reference.. The green line is where you place the bead of silicone, the red lines are where you lightly smear some silicone to aid in sealing the water ports to the gaskets, and the blue circles are that place where you have 3 different junctions all coming together between block, heads and intake and you want to make sure there is sufficient silicone to fill the gaps created at those junctions between mating surfaces and gaskets. If you do that, you should never have any leaks, water or oil.

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag