2004 5.3 Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I've got a 2004 Tahoe needing to replace the IM gasket. I've never had the IM off on this vehicle and have owned it for 6 years with not much trouble. SES light is on and showing a code which points to bad gasket.

So I've seen a video on it and it doesn't look like too bad just a ton of unplugging connections etc. If anyone has done this and has a writeup or video they are aware of that is pretty good I'd like to read it over before jumping in

thanks
tom

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, it's not too bad of a job. No coolant passages either, so no mess there.

Got a lean code and rough/unsteady idle on a cold start?

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Yeah, it's not too bad of a job. No coolant passages either, so no mess there.

Got a lean code and rough/unsteady idle on a cold start?
Idle is ok at cold startand runs fine. The code is that P0174 if I remember correctly as it's been awhile. I've cleared the code and it stays off but eventually pops back up. So it's time to knock it out.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Idle is ok at cold startand runs fine. The code is that P0174 if I remember correctly as it's been awhile. I've cleared the code and it stays off but eventually pops back up. So it's time to knock it out.
It's seriously like a 30 minute job... if you take your time. An exhaust leak, bad o2 sensor, or dirty MAF sensor could also cause that code too, just FYI. If you have the ability to do it, you should really look at what your fuel trims and o2 sensor sweeps look like.

Mine is a Gen IV, so a little different, but I looked at a youtube video of someone doing a removal before I did mine to make sure I wasn't missing anything. It was basically disconnect battery. Disconnect alternator charge wire. Disconnect fuel line to rail. Disconnect PCV. Pull intake pipe. Unhook wiring harness hold downs on top of the manifold. Lift up the harness and zip tie to the cowl. Then its just unbolting the 8 10mm bolts that hold the manifold down and pull the whole thing out. Vacuum all the junk out of there and clean the surfaces on the intake manifold and head very well. Then clip the new gaskets onto the intake and re-assemble.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
@Bextreme04
Thanks for taking the time to write all that up. The YT video I've seen was pretty decent but sometimes things get skipped over. My INNOVA 3150f I dont believe has the live data capability.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Maybe replace knock sensors with GM ones while you're there? Just a thought