Intake Manifold Cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Hi Everybody,

Kind of a long story. I haven't owned my truck very long. It's a 84 Sierra, but has a Chevrolet engine in it. I tried to change my coolant temp sensor yesterday and the one I had picked up was too small. I think the parts store has the correct one on the way, but that got wondering exactly what engine I have. I was trying to get a view of the numbers on the block and noticed this cover/patch on the intake manifold. Has anybody seen something like this or know what he hole could have been for?

You must be registered for see images attach

Thank you,
John

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
That is an EGR block off plate. Your truck has had the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system removed. No big deal as long as it's sealed and not leaking.

Sorry I don't have anything to add regarding the different temp sending units.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
That is an EGR block off plate. Your truck has had the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system removed. No big deal as long as it's sealed and not leaking.

Sorry I don't have anything to add regarding the different temp sending units.
Thank you for the info!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
its not uncommon for the CTS to be a smaller size, you just need to get a brass fitting to size down from the bigger hole in the head to the smaller sensor.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Some of the older engines used a 3/8” thread sensor, but most later engines had a 1/2” thread sensor. The sensor size can be adapted, but the most common problem is that the sensor resistance is not a match to the gauge. GM changed the gauge setup over the years, so a sensor for your ‘84 truck might fit my ‘75 but the resistance values would be wrong, and the gauge would read wrong.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Some of the older engines used a 3/8” thread sensor, but most later engines had a 1/2” thread sensor. The sensor size can be adapted, but the most common problem is that the sensor resistance is not a match to the gauge. GM changed the gauge setup over the years, so a sensor for your ‘84 truck might fit my ‘75 but the resistance values would be wrong, and the gauge would read wrong.
Thank you for the info. I think I have the correct sensor now.

84Squarebodlvr

Reaction score
First Name
zion
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What thread sensor is

Attachments

• 492D61E8-1BEE-4606-B794-44A664243A8F.jpeg
    492D61E8-1BEE-4606-B794-44A664243A8F.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 61

84Squarebodlvr

Reaction score
First Name
zion
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sorry! First time on here. What size sensor is this blue gauge in the manifold to the left of the thermostat housing? Thanks! I have a 1984 K20

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The blue colored sensor is a TVS, (Thermal Vacuum Switch). It is used to switch vacuum on or off as the engine warms up. On your truck it looks like there isn't any vacuum hoses hooked to it. Someone has disconnected it's use. Now it is just plugging the pipe port in the intake manifold coolant passage.

The pipe size is either 3/8" or 1/2". There should be a vacuum hose decal on the radiator support or air cleaner that shows all the vacuum hoses your truck was built with.

The temperature gauge sensor is usually mounted in the drivers side head. It has one wire connected to it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
See?!
I'll thought I was messin around talking about pinché thermostatic vacuum switches! WELL, THERE IS ONE!
:hornz:

It gots a pintle!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69