gas filter goes empty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnRod

Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I have a 76 2500 2wd Sub. have had it since 1982. if it sets for an hour the gas filter, which I have just above the pump and is clear plastic, goes empty. this makes for hard starting, since the gas line between the filter and the Holley carb. also drains. I have removed the gas cap as soon as I park, thinking the vacuum in the tank might cause this. but no.
my 67 C-10 will set for 10 days and still have gas in the filter.
So, is this a problem with the pump, allowing gas to go back to the tank?
thoughts/help would be appreciated.
thanks Rod in AZ

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok we just had a discussion about drain back in another thread that let just say there were some strong opinions about it, but I'll give you my experience. You can spend a bunch of time trying to correct the drain back issue, but a good strong fuel pump should be able to over come a drain back issue without any trouble. For example on my truck, a couple hours after it has been turned off the fuel line from the pump to the carburetor will be dry inside, but it will fire right up, because the pump is good and strong and can build pressure quickly. So it's most likely a pump issue. If you have tested your fuel pressure and volume and its ok then there is another issue causing hard start.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The more I think about it this doesn't really sound like drain back to me. It my well be draining back, but after only an hour of sitting there should be plenty of gas in float bowl still to start the engine.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Even mine takes a day in cold weather, but week+ in warm weather to have a trouble starting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx