Fuel tank question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keuka C10

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 84 C10 with a 350 and Rochester carb. I will be replacing one of the fuel tanks and I got to thinking. I know if I ever want to move to an LS fuel injected motor, I will need the 87 model baffled tank. Would I have any issues if I just did that now since I have to get a new tank anyway. Will the current 84 sending unit work in the 87 baffled tank?

Thanks
David

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
The FI tanks just have a baffle to hold a pool of fuel around the bottom on the fuel pump pickup.
This way the pump isn't starved of fuel when the tank is low.
Assuming the sending units are the same size/height it would work.

When you go LS you will need a new fuel pump and sending unit.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
AFAIK the '87 tanks are the same, except for the added baffle, and the price is similar to the older tank.

If you switch to an EFI pump in an older tank you can add something like the Holley Hydramat to keep fuel flowing to a new EFI pump, but the Hydramat is not cheap. Another option is to use a surge tank setup where the stock pumps feed a small tank that has the EFI pump immersed in fuel.

This Fuel Command Center is a pre-packaged surge tank that includes the pump and all the required connections for EFI. Its relatively expensive, but includes the EFI pump, ability to run a return line, and all the other features you need to support EFI. Since its fed by the stock fuel line to the old carb, you can have it connected to dual tanks without any mods to the tanks. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpf-40004/

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reese68