fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I think that's too low for TBI, Jim will double check me on that.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
id like to get a whole new sending unit with the pump but there so expensive cant find one cheap, also if that pump there is too low psi i wonder if that is what been giving me problems with bogging down wot old pump wasnt strong enough

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
id like to get a whole new sending unit with the pump but there so expensive cant find one cheap, also if that pump there is too low psi i wonder if that is what been giving me problems with bogging down wot old pump wasnt strong enough

Try pricing here at all?

http://www.tanks-to-pans.com/

I just recently learned the tube that connects the fuel pump to the sender unit pipe is known to split on these trucks and cause a pressure loss. You might not even need a pump, just a hose. This is why I really want to cut an access panel to my sending unit so you don't have to drop the damn tank.

However if I am reading this thread right you said you have twin fuel tanks? So maybe something else is wrong in the system itself like the switch valve or something?

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
well see i tested my fuel pump had one hose in gas can with gas and other hose out and when it was on you could hear it but no gas was coming out of the pump, yes its pain in ass to drop tank i did it few weeks back cleaned it out wow took hours....

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Adrian,
I know your truck is an 87, but has it been changed to a carburetor?
So many people throw carbs on when they cant figure out EFI problems, I cant keep track.
you need a TBI pump if you still have EFI.
It provides up to 20psi un regulated.
TBI systems run between 9and 13 PSI stock.
If there is a split in the rubber hose between the pump, and the tank outlet, you will see a little fuel at low pressure, or even none at all.
Check your fuel filter before going any farther.
That pump in the Orielly link is for carburetor only.
If you had an external pump, and the in tank pumps were not removed and replaced by a pick up tube, its surprising that it ran at all, and if it did, at lower than spec pressure, due to fighting dead pumps.
Do it the right way. Drop both tanks, and confirm what the propblem really is, fix it correctly, and enjoy your truck.

Last edited:

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
my truck has the tbi still the hoses near the tank and fuel tank selector valve i changed all those hoses with new

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
my truck has the tbi still the hoses near the tank and fuel tank selector valve i changed all those hoses with new

The proper fuel pump for your truck is ACDelco EP386, RockAuto has them for under $40 each. you will need to get new pickup screens, or clean the originals really well.
The proper replacement rubber hoses should SAEJ30R9 on them.
Have you disconnected the external pump, and tried to see if you can hear the in tank pumps when you turn the key to on?

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
the in tank pumps i know dont work previous owner told me they were bad thats why he bought the spectre pump

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
the in tank pumps i know dont work previous owner told me they were bad thats why he bought the spectre pump

K...thats the problem.
You need to make sure the originals are not in there.
you can run an external pump, but it needs to be the proper one, andnmodifications need to be made to both fuel sendersmafternthe old pumps have been removed.
You would be better off replacing both pumps in the tank, and be done with it.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
yeah im gonna get that pump you had link for replalce em in tanks and get rid of external pump the two fuel sending units are still in the tanks the pumps are bad but the gauge unit for gas gauge still works so i guess there still half good

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
yeah im gonna get that pump you had link for replalce em in tanks and get rid of external pump the two fuel sending units are still in the tanks the pumps are bad but the gauge unit for gas gauge still works so i guess there still half good

I know its extra work, but drop both tanks and do the job. $80 is pretty cheap for good delco pumps. Dunno what they would be locally, but try to get walbro, carter, or even Echlin at NAPA if you go local.
Stay away from that spectre ****....leave all that for the fast and furious crowd.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
hey one more question when i go to take the external fuel pump out and only run in tank pumps how would i connect the rubber hose to the fuel filter? it has those threaded ends on both ends wouldnt i need a filter or adapter that has the nipple end for hose to go on i checked rock auto and there fuel pumps are same way? and the hose im talking about is the hose from fuel tank selector valve its 3/8 size i think and maybe 5inches long

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Forum statistics

Threads