Fuel Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hi Everyone, i am curious to see if anyone has ever taken a fuel gauge or any other gauges for that matter that push into the clips of the printed circuit on the IP and actually just ran straight wires from the harness to eliminate the headaches of poor connections due to age of truck? I will be attempting to do this on 84 c10 fuel gauge soon and possibly thinking ring terminals over threaded rods on backside of gauge. Anyone else have any thoughts??

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I did and it turned out fine. I soldered the wires onto the little tabs that hold on the printed circuit, and placed them in wire clips I got off amazon. Now I had the bright idea to join all the grounds together so I had some redundancy with my grounds, would have worked but the warning lights and turn indicators actually are toggled using the ground instead of the positive so when I combined all of what I thought were grounds I grouped the warning positives with them creating a short. Took alil bit to figure that one out. As for the lights I soldered wires to the little terminals that would have contacted the printed circuit and joined all the back lighting together in a parallel circuit. Since the light on the far right has a fiber optic cable attached to the ash tray I put a little wire clip on that one's wires so I could just unhook it when removing the cluster. I suggest putting the wires into clips in the same order they followed in the printed circuit, then cutting the factory clip in the truck one at a time and putting them in the new in the same order. Can be helpful to take a sharpy and follow along the printed circuit and number what would have been connected together with the same number (say you trace the top left around, leave a 1 at every spot it would connect, then a 2 for the next connection down, ect.) than group the same numbers with wires. And as always solder and shrink tubing are wonderful.

Here is some pictures of mine, would have come out neater if I had started out with the idea of using different wire clips.

You must be registered for see images attach

In the last picture you can see my attempt to make it compatible with the stock connector, the epoxy and wires didn't let the clip seat deep enough so that turned out to be a colossal time waste.

Oh, and for reference mine is a tach cluster with volt gauge.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
vkh, whoa thanks a lot man, sure helps a ton.. not sure if i am going to dedicate the time for the entire cluster considering it is my daily driver but its definetly reassuring before i do the fuel gauge and possibly volt meter gauge. btw nice job on that man; not sure what the engineers at gm were thinking (or not) when they introduced the idea of a printed headache circuit

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
No problem, and thanks. For doing just a couple of the gauges you could cut away some of the printed circuit around the tabs that hold the circuit in with scissors to isolate it from the remaining printed circuit. Just an idea if you wanted to attach your wires to the metal tabs. But whatever works best for you. Best of luck, hope it goes well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20