gauge refurb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Was watching videos of how to refurb, clean etc gauge clusters last night.

1. One of the videos showed that using a 9v battery, one could test the gauges by touching the back of cluster, the little prongs that hold the gauge terminals. When I do that, only the oil pressure gauge moves. ANd, it does it when I test the voltmeter and water temp gauges too. Im guessing its not suposed to do that? Im gong to pull the gauges and test them individually, but does that mean the electronic mat thing on the back of the cluster is damage somehow?

2. The voltmeter only has 2 of the little prongs. Should there not be three? Perhaps there are only two posts on the voltmeter, I guess Ill answer that when I pull the gauges. If it requires 3, can those be sourced anywhere?

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
so water, volt and oil all tested fine independently using the 9v batter.

I am missing one of the little clips for the volt meter. No idea where that went. Can they be sourced? If they are no longer available but from a junkyard, what years would have them as you all know the old trucks are harder to find, so does it stop at 87 or go into the 90's?

Still tring to figure out why when testing the back of the gauges when installed, only the oil press gauge moves.

Last edited:

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban

I am missing one of the little clips for the volt meter. No idea where that went. Can they be sourced? If they are no longer available but from a junkyard, what years would have them as you all know the old trucks are harder to find, so does it stop at 87 or go into the 90's?

Still tring to figure out why when testing the back of the gauges when installed, only the oil press gauge moves.
Not sure about testing with a 9 volt battery. The clips you mentioned are available from LMC truck. The older ones are a bit more stout and better if you can find some OEM. The circuit board ("electronic mat thing") is fairly simple. check the bare spots on the board where the clips touch and where the wire harness plugs into. Clean these up and make sure they make good contact. The same for the bulb holders since you have it out. I would bench test each gauge individually out of the cluster.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Post a picture of what you need. I believe I have 1-2 broken clusters I can pull from for you.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I think I need one of these? At least I only have two and there is a space for three.

Edit: After looking through that below video again, I see he only has 2 prongs at the voltmeter like I do. The issue is, wehn I bench test the gauges, the gauge terminal which needs to be powered to sweep the needle is the one that has no prong. So now I am really confused.

all my gauges bench test fine. Still not sure whay only the oil pressure gauge changes when testing the back of the gauges when they are installed in the panel.

As for the 9v testing thing, I got it from this video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
so voltmeter is totally not working. When probing the two terminals on it voltmeter, I do not get any OHMS reading between them at all. So I am guessing the resistor is dead?

I checked the harness itself. All grounds have continuity, as do the temp and pressure leads, and they are attached to the individual sensors. I get 12ish volts with key on at the pink/black wires. I get 12ish volts to all the hot side of the gauges, so I know they are getting power.

Everything else seems correct unless the printed circuit is wrong or there is something I am missing.

the picture below is of the volt gauge above where it mounts in the panel. If I put nine volt power to the right terminal (with no corresponding cluster prong) and ground to the top terminal, the gauge will sweep all the way to the right. If I put power to the left terminal I get nothing. If I ohm between the left and right terminals, I get nothing. So I am guessing the power from the printed circuit applies to the left, it goes through the resistor to the right terminal and that causes the gauge to sweep to the correct location. Does that sound right?

Where can I get the resistor?

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe