fluid transfer pumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
So, the other night after work, I'm laying under one of the trucks refilling the rear diff. I was using the same suction gun that I used when I worked at a dealership, but being as I no longer had a hoist to work from the different position trying to refill the diff was kind of a pain in my ass. Especially with the residual mess the gun makes.

So my thought was this, does anyone know of a small fluid pump that runs off of 110v or compressed air, that would work well for gear lube and trans fluid? If I can find one I'd like to attach it to a reservoir of around 3-4 quarts. Something that would be small enough to fit under a vehicle on jack stands, and be able to be operated by one hand via a switch or valve.

I have seen several online, but none are really what I'm looking for. Don't really need one with evac capabilities, just something to pump new fluid in without having to refill it from multiple bottles and drizzle or spill it all over while laying under the truck.

Thoughts?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I use one of these with a hose attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 85

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That is what I use as well. I've had to get some smaller diameter tube and a zip tie to hold it on but it works well.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I've used similar ones before, and the pump mechanism always seems to quit working after a short time.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I've used similar ones before, and the pump mechanism always seems to quit working after a short time.

It needs to be rated for petroleum based fluids. Mine has been in use for about 15 years.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The last one we had was supposedly designed for gear lube, but I'm sure it was the typical parts store quality. When I was at the dealer, we had a flush machine for diffs and transfer cases that ran off compressed air. The actual mechanism under the plastic bs wasn't very large at all. And, if you didn't use the snake oil they were trying to push, and purged the lines with the proper fluid for what you were working on, it worked pretty slick for refilling stuff. I may need to get in touch with a couple of old co-workers and see if I can track down where the parts to build one might be tracked down.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Try this one. http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/1740-POWER-FILL-PRO-15-gallon_p_79.html

I have the power bleeder and just found a shraeder valve and a curved piece of steel tubing to make the fill part. I can use it to bleed brakes as well as fill things like the differential.

http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/Universal-Bleeder-Kit-0250_p_136.html

The fill one can be pressurized by air but the bleeder one needs to be pumped up by hand.

I have seen people use a garden sprayer but they do not hold up to automotive fluids.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Try this one. http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/1740-POWER-FILL-PRO-15-gallon_p_79.html

I have the power bleeder and just found a shraeder valve and a curved piece of steel tubing to make the fill part. I can use it to bleed brakes as well as fill things like the differential.

http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/Universal-Bleeder-Kit-0250_p_136.html

The fill one can be pressurized by air but the bleeder one needs to be pumped up by hand.

I have seen people use a garden sprayer but they do not hold up to automotive fluids.

I have seen those. May end up getting the one you used. Wasn't sure if I could locate the parts to build a powered one for the same cost or cheaper.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I cut a water bottle in a fashion that allows the "tip" to curl-up into the fill hole so the gear oil doesn't spill, and wide enough so when the rest is curled up I can squeeze small amounts, like 2 ounces a shot from the bottle, and then slow going. It works and it's cheap. :cheers:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm less worried about cheap, really kinda aiming for easy. If I can put something together for less than a $100 that works with the flip of a switch, I'll be happy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm