Fenders or Front Clip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I got a lot of work to do on mine, it's been sitting in a shed for several years now. It started when something decided to nest in the carb, and stopped me turning it over every few weeks. Now the engine won't even turn over, and the carb is a mess.

I'm going to do a lot of work on it, carb, electrical, brakes, maybe pull the intake and heads, and need a lot of access, I wondered if it was easier to remove the fenders, or just take off the whole front clip?

I saw this thread http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12882 wondered if there were any others?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
If it's necessary for you to go to that length then in the end it'll be easier if you just take the whole front clip off as "one piece"

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You think it's easier not to do it?

I'm under 6' and find a real problem getting at stuff in the engine bay, and it's had mice in the carb and a possum nesting in the spare battery tray amongst other things. There's all kinds of crap in the engine bay and I think some wiring has been gnawed, I know I need to re-run fuel lines as I'm pulling off the Rochester and putting on a Holley.

With all this to do, I figured undoing a couple of dozen bolts and some connectors and pulling it off would make life easy?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You think it's easier not to do it?

I'm under 6' and find a real problem getting at stuff in the engine bay, and it's had mice in the carb and a possum nesting in the spare battery tray amongst other things. There's all kinds of crap in the engine bay and I think some wiring has been gnawed, I know I need to re-run fuel lines as I'm pulling off the Rochester and putting on a Holley.

With all this to do, I figured undoing a couple of dozen bolts and some connectors and pulling it off would make life easy?

You're probably correct with all that to do. It would open things up considerably. I'm 6'2" and normally don't have issue reaching stuff but with the amount of work you need to do taking the clip off may be worthwhile since it'll probably take a little while for the work to be complete. Maybe while the clip is off it'll give you a chance to do some additional clean up as well and really get things in tip top shape. So I'd take it off as one piece so that when you go to put it back one once everything is fixed back up it's easier to get panels realigned again.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah, that's kind of what I want to do. Even getting to the far spark plug is a pain for me as it is. I figure the more I can get at the better job I can do. So is that the only thread covering the removal or is there a better one?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm sure there are others rolling around the forum but that one is probably the most detailed with the pics and stuff.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks .

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I'm 6'4" and have a hard time reaching things as well somtimes. Taking the clip off will make reaching things worlds easier. I have also built a short skaffold around mine befor to make things easier but its hard on the back either way. At the very least take the hood off....

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Either that, or get one of these fancy creepers.

You must be registered for see images

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It is so much nicer to work on things with the whole clip removed. But that involves removing the rad and batteries and 2 people to remove the hood and clip. So if its worth it to you to do all that then for sure.

Remove:

hood
batteries
Radiator

Unhook:

Charcoal cannister
Hood latch cable
Headlight harness
Turn signal harness
Wiper washer reservoir tubes and harness
Ground straps and any dual battery related items.

Remove the 2 bolts that hold the rad support to the frame. The 3 bolts that hold each fender to the cab. The 1 bolt that holds the inner fender to the cab. And the splash shields that cover up the forward cab mounts and are attached to the bottom of the inner fender.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454

Now all you need to do is make this motorized and you're in business :D

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

And here we see the Ford mechanic in his natural environment.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Now, be nice. Now the italians own Mopar, and the japanese Chevy, Ford is the only American company left.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Now, be nice. Now the italians own Mopar, and the japanese Chevy, Ford is the only American company left.

True, and I have owned a ford as well. I liked it too! It was a 76 F250 with a 78 body on it. Built entirely from parts. It was a nice truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 81

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76