Factory TBI sparkplug wire routing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Can anyone provide photos of the factory TBI engine spark plug wire routing? My plug wires are a disaster, and I want to try and get them routed like they are from the factory. I'm having a hard time finding photos of stock engine bays though, so anything you guys can provide would be helpful. In the meantime, I'll keep digging!

Thanks!

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
This is my Sierra if it helps...I know they aren't utilized at the moment...hah

Attachments

• 100_8552.jpg
    100_8552.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • 100_8553.jpg
    100_8553.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 820

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
This is a little better than OEM
You must be registered for see images attach

But like in Reatro's pics, there are 2 double holders on each side, mounted on brackets that are bolted to the heads betwix the cylinders. Then on each side on the back of the heads, there are quad holders, bolted to the back of the heads, then the wires run up to the cap...can't find a frikken pic or diagram to save me life.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
YUP, from the dist. cap, to the back of the head, around and to the plugs.
Left side`s a sort of a bugger, keep them close to the head and they`ll plug into the holders.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh ****, Mr Fuggin Do Right Wilson !!! And I thought I was picky cuz I like #1 on the cap where it's supposed to be. Figured so long as I got that, the wires aren't touching metal or the exhaust manifolds, I'm good to go. I also try to keep wires as far from exhaust manifolds as possible. They don't have to be right on a manifold to get very warm and cook your carbon in the wire to where it's stiff like a pencil led then when those leds break, guess what? Failed wire in short order. The Arc will still jump and travel, but with every break, it's weaker and weaker spark. This is usually the killer on plug wires, is the heat, carbon gets stiff, then you move a wire to change plugs and now it's got a bunch of broken stiff carbon. So keep them off the heat as far as you can.

I ended up running real braided wire cores in my 64 GMC. Stereo sounded like **** badly. Didn't much care cuz you couldn't hear it over the motor anyway, and only time I listened to the stereo was when I was parked and motor was off hanging out at the street races or with some chick gettin' toe up on the seat or in the back down in the river bed or Azusa Canyon at East Fork.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Thanks guys! Looks like I need to find some of those holders. Might steal some extra double holders so I can do something a bit more like Jim posted up, too.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks guys! Looks like I need to find some of those holders. Might steal some extra double holders so I can do something a bit more like Jim posted up, too.

They also have some nice centerbolt holders with aluminum frames, that are like rceways for the wires, the cleanest looking install by far.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They also have some nice centerbolt holders with aluminum frames, that are like rceways for the wires, the cleanest looking install by far.

Those race way things makes for a real nice tray for the wires to lay on, I`ve seen those and like them.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E

Got any links to something like that? I've seen some that are billet and completely enclose the wires, but no raceway type.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This what you looking for? I have these but side mount valve covers. I have them on my 74 with stock exhaust manifolds.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/18483/10002/-1?parentProductId=758074

Keeps plug wires off hot exhaust manifolds and headers on any V-8 engine. Perfect fit with adjustable mounting tabs (including SB-Chevy center bolt valve covers). Mounting blocks are made of a high die-electric material that prevents cross-firing between wires. Fits 7mm, 8mm, 8.5mm and 8.8mm wire sizes.

Attachments

• Imgp1203.jpg
    Imgp1203.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 569

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
That looks like the money ticket. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reese68