factory-style tachometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If I buy a tach like this one, is there a fuel level gauge that will fit in the blank space at the bottom, or will I need to use one that fits in the cluster to the left?

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's what I currently have -- fuel gauge on right. The only idiot light I'm using is the parking brake light.
You must be registered for see images

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I've got the same fuel/tach combo gauge mentioned above from GM Sports Salvage.

It is a great option because:
- it's plug and play - fits right in and uses the large fuel gauge mounting points (very minimal modification) and then just connect the tach wire lead from the distributor.
- the tach shares power and ground with the original fuel gauge connections, and existing resistance feed from fuel sender is good to go - extra no wiring needed
- looks stock with matching font/numbers
- solves the problem of finding a small fuel gauge, which is very hard to find

If you go this route, you do loose the one or two lights (depending on cluster) that are under the fuel gauge. This is usually seatbelt warning light and parking break. I didn't mind loosing the seatbelt light since mine was broken anyway, but I did like having the parking brake light as a reminder. My solution was to use the lower left spot (where parking brake is on idiot light clusters).

Just so you know, the GM sports salvage gauge is $215.
For me, I justified the cost in terms of convenience, plug-n-play, and not spending every weekend trying and failing to find a factory tach from a junkyard that would probably be broken (the one I did find was broken, was an older font style that didn't match mine, and repair costs would be expensive - a tach is not a simple gauge)

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
A bigger question is: are you planning on upgrading to full gauges or are you leaving the warning lights?

I think they do make small fuel gauge reproductions, but with your idiot light cluster, you would need some modification and it might not turn out nice (or not possible at all).
On the inside, the idiot light clusters aren't set up to accept gauges. Although they look like they are the same circle from the outside, (and almost similar on the inside) the warning lights are really just a square colored plastic piece with a lightbulb behind. You won't get illumination if you put a gauge there - the idiot light clusters don't have light bulbs to illuminate the faces of the small circle gauges, they just have a bulb for the warning light and are dark all around otherwise when not lit.

Where are you finding that tach? Is it a reproduction from LMC or something? Or a NOS?
If I was lucky enough to find a NOS or used working tach, then I would try and make that work as a stock tach cluster would have been, and then get a full gauge cluster, have the small fuel gauge, and have the parking brake warning light under the tach.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks guys. The tach/fuel gauge from GM Sports looks like the way to go. And certainly much easier than installing a separate fuel gauge. I also like that it's not limited to 5K RPM.

I doubt if I'll ever add gauges to the 4 idiot light pods. Currently have some nice AutoMeter gauges under the ash tray.

To answer a question above, the tach in my picture is sold by ClassicParts.com. I think it's $129 - 10% discount currently in effect.

I think (?) my parking brake light is in the idiot light cluster, so that won't be a problem. Too lazy to go out in the dark and look at it!

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, that's the way to go. And also get RPM readings up to 7000 instead of 5000.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The GMSports tach is also spot on accurate. I put it in *and* a fuel gauge on the left, so I could have dual gauges for dual tanks.

Note that the GMSports gauge is available in both typefaces, old and new, which I did not know when I got it, so I have the new typeface in my 78, but I like it better anyway.

Here is the write-up from a couple years ago on another forum.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=629131

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Rich, thanks for the write-up. Guess I'll pull the trigger and order one.

When I last worked on the instrument panel, it was areal pain. This time it will probably be even more work. One of those deals where you wake up at night and scream!

Sometimes I wish I still had my 69 C10. As I recall, it takes about 10-15 minutes to pull the entire instrument panel, and there is no plastic bezel to deal with.

1986ChrisK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is an awesome look, thanks for posting that gauge, it is exactly what I am looking for. I have always been for the factory clean look.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
We should all use Rich's technical terminology for the large fuel gauge. From this point forward, it shall be known as "big honking fuel gauge".

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So, I received the tach/fuel gauge from gmsports.com. Problem is the studs on the back that plug into the 3 receptacles on the panel are approx 1/4" - 3/8" too low relative to the 3 mounting holes on the gauge face.

GM Sports said they would send me another one and have UPS pick up mine, but asked me to call the guy who builds them. He asked me to check a few things, then apologized and said he would send me another one. Hopefully it will ship today.

Bottom line is the tach I got was not assembled correctly, which concerns the heck out of me, but both the vendor and manufacturer were eager to get the problem solved, with no finger pointing at all.

In the second and third pics below, you can see how low the studs are compared to the OE fuel gauge. And yes, the screw at 10 o'clock does not go thru the gauge hole. Same is true for the OE fuel gauge.

Last edited:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I didnt have any issues at all with mine. Sounds like a good Co. that they will resolve the problem ASAP.

BlackLion

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Is there another source for this tach? GMSports doesn't list them anymore, as far as I can see.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thank you,

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85