Engine swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I like that idea but I want an auto in this truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy I know that rebuilds transmissions says the 46 or 47re CAN be bullet proof when built correctly.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Slow down now. I don’t have that much to throw in for this project. Maybe some day tho...

I was trying to stay reasonable but I was pushed lol jk.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I was trying to stay reasonable but I was pushed lol jk.
Yeah yeah I’m sure. Trust me tho if I could afford to do it my option wouldve been the Allison with a 24v. But that’s too expensive so it’s a 12v and not an Allison

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
You think the way I do. Let me modify your list a little so it’s closer to what things are like in my area and how I would do it (maybe).

1st gen Cummins (full truck) 5k+ odds and ends- selling rest of truck
6.0/4l80 $1500+ transfer case adapter
Crate $3500+ $1000 efi

My prices are probably a little higher than what they actually would be. But they should be close.

I picked up a 208 and adapter from behind a th400 that should bolt to my 4l80 when I do the swap. 6 liter still appears to be the cheapest route, hell for that price you could probably find an 8.1L :flamingdevil:

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I picked up a 208 and adapter from behind a th400 that should bolt to my 4l80 when I do the swap. 6 liter still appears to be the cheapest route, hell for that price you could probably find an 8.1L :flamingdevil:
I like the 8.1 but for some reason I can’t leave anything alone so I need room to get more power and at this point there isn’t a lot of aftermarket for the 8.1. And I’m not necessarily looking for cheapest but a combination of cheap, fuel economy (not hugely important), and potential future mods.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Guy I know that rebuilds transmissions says the 46 or 47re CAN be bullet proof when built correctly.
I’ve heard that too.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
To me it boils down to how much time you got?

i think you should, depending on how much time you got, experience/knowledge, and budget, go with whatever engine you like the most.

But to answer the question, and if i were going to do some occasional towing, which i'm not, but to answer the question 350 crate is the easiest, cheapest, fastest way. (and i wouldn't mess with aftermarket EFI, because why.....? Quadrajet or equivalent new carb and mechanical fuel pump is like $400 tops, Aftermarket EFI minimum is $1000+.......)

This is literally a bolt in affair, and i've done it enough times where i can have the truck running again in probably under 8 hours.

Now, i will acknowledge that with an LS engine, you will most likely get 2-3mpg better than a smallblock(not to mention numerous other advantages). But there's no way i could get that running in under 8 hours. Probably would take weeks if not more due to the computer and screwing around with the fuel pump which has to be high pressure electric.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
To me it boils down to how much time you got?

i think you should, depending on how much time you got, experience/knowledge, and budget, go with whatever engine you like the most.

But to answer the question, and if i were going to do some occasional towing, which i'm not, but to answer the question 350 crate is the easiest, cheapest, fastest way. (and i wouldn't mess with aftermarket EFI, because why.....? Quadrajet or equivalent new carb and mechanical fuel pump is like $400 tops, Aftermarket EFI minimum is $1000+.......)

This is literally a bolt in affair, and i've done it enough times where i can have the truck running again in probably under 8 hours.

Now, i will acknowledge that with an LS engine, you will most likely get 2-3mpg better than a smallblock(not to mention numerous other advantages). But there's no way i could get that running in under 8 hours. Probably would take weeks if not more due to the computer and screwing around with the fuel pump which has to be high pressure electric.
Time isn’t a constraint. The truck isn’t going anywhere until the salt is long gone anyways and I have a heated shop. The crate is without argument the easiest. I like the reliability of the efi and have heard nothing but good things about it so that’s what makes me wanna go that route. The LS is probably going to be about the same difficulty as the Cummins but these two have more potential for power. I can talk myself into any of three options and I can talk myself out of any of the three options.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I like the 8.1 but for some reason I can’t leave anything alone so I need room to get more power and at this point there isn’t a lot of aftermarket for the 8.1. And I’m not necessarily looking for cheapest but a combination of cheap, fuel economy (not hugely important), and potential future mods.

Raylar performance has cam, heads etc. There is also people that have added a turbo. I have heard with a tune the 8.1 gets mid teens in suburbans and CC trucks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=492583

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh ok LS7........

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
+1 on 8.1l . They have stroker or supercharger configuration available or both. If ok with 2" body lift, then can pick on up with allison already attached to it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1