Engine stalling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shank

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
1986 K10
305, Edelbrock carb with electric choke

Guys,

I bought this truck in February. It recently got a new Accel distributor and has been running great for several weeks.

Last week, while running down the highway, noticed the engine miss for a second. Didn't think much of it until I came to a stop and it stalled. The only way to start it then was foot to the floor. It would start, then stall if I let off the gas. To get home, I had to drop it in gear at half throttle and it would cough and sputter then finally start running normally again.

I changed the fuel filter and a broken vacuum line from the intake manifold to a switch mounted on the firewall. It ran fine for several miles then suddenly stalls as if turning off the ignition. The actual stalling only happens when stopped...

Any ideas? Fuel pump? Carb shot?

Thanks in advance, Bob

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Sounds like a sticky float or crap in the needle seat.

Shank

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Thanks Geo. Is this a carb the average Joe can take apart and clean?

Shank

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Thanks George!

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
O ya edelbrock is way simple. Try watching a few videos on you tube before doing it. I am sure there are a tone of videos on it. There the simplest carburetor to work on.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Make sure your timing is not off and make sure the plug wires and cap are in good condition too. I have had ignition problems stump me before were I thought it was something else. I have had bad wires act similar to burnt valves before. Had both problems on 2 different rigs and similar symptoms. My old Honda started missing in the top end and it slowly got worse tell it was just missing under a lite load and it turned out to be the wires. 70 ford missed at around 2,500 RPM and them cleared up and it was burnt valves. So make sure its not an ignition problem. I always do a tune up on a car before trouble shooting problems. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter and timing.

Shank

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice Joe

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First thing on the Edelbrock is to pull the air cleaner, then loosen the step-up piston covers and swing them out of the way. Pull the step-up pistons out, wipe off the pistons and the rods, use Qtips with WD-40 or carb cleaner to clean out the step-up cylinders. Reassemble.

Second thing is to clean out the idle circuit. Screw the idle mixture screws all the way in until they stop, counting the turns (like 2-1/4 for example). Then remove the idle mixture screws by unscrewing them all the way out. Blow out the idle circuit by blowing compressed air into the holes. Clean the idle mixture screws off and re-install all the way in to the stop, then back them out same as before.

Shank

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Well, after lots of head scratching and part swapping, I figured it out. The PO installed a "kill switch" and it was under the carpet on the drivers side. The connections were loose which was causing the stalling. When I put my foot to the floor, it was restoring the connection enough to run again for a while. That one drove me crazy! Thanks for all the efforts to figure it out guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB