engine running funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Jim:The balancer hasnt slipped it was actually that my marks didnt line up so I am 3-4 degrees more advanced than what my balancer reads. I tore it down and started from scratch to make sure everything was lined up again.
It wont overheat if I start it and let it idle. I left it idle without moving it for at least 20 mins the other day while I was doing some adjusting and it never overheated. I then went for about a 5-7 minute drive up the road and back and it set idling for another 5 minutes or so then it gradually kept creeping up past the 210 mark and almost to the 3/4 mark until I had to cut it off.
I did put the thermostat in a pot of water before I installed it and it opened fine and it probably doesnt even have 50 miles on it. Right now the timing is set at about 18* BTDC initial. I have replaced the distributor and have not checked my total timing yet.

Holy crap 18* that is WAY to high and I'm going to say something is wrong somewhere. You should be at 12-14* BTDC when the truck is running.

Mmoore031908

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
it runs with the timing that low just not very well. Any ideas what would make it want way more timing like that? The balancer is confirmed 3-4 degrees off so for 18 my balancer is around 21-22 degrees.

Mmoore031908

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I made sure I used a piston stop and marked the balancer.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I made sure I used a piston stop and marked the balancer.

Forget about the piston stop. Take off your left valve cover and turn the balancer over until you see both #1 I/E valves close and the #3 intake valve fully open; This represents TDC.

Check where TDC is in reference to the 0 mark on your balancer.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Jim:The balancer hasnt slipped it was actually that my marks didnt line up so I am 3-4 degrees more advanced than what my balancer reads. I tore it down and started from scratch to make sure everything was lined up again.
It wont overheat if I start it and let it idle. I left it idle without moving it for at least 20 mins the other day while I was doing some adjusting and it never overheated. I then went for about a 5-7 minute drive up the road and back and it set idling for another 5 minutes or so then it gradually kept creeping up past the 210 mark and almost to the 3/4 mark until I had to cut it off.
I did put the thermostat in a pot of water before I installed it and it opened fine and it probably doesnt even have 50 miles on it. Right now the timing is set at about 18* BTDC initial. I have replaced the distributor and have not checked my total timing yet.

Ok, when you say you have the Holly 600 clone, is the float adjustable like a Holley? This should be correctable, and it sounds like the float may be too low. Holleys are the best aftermarket carb out there...and, I think the summit is made by Holley anyways. I like to use the clear sign plugs on the float bowl. Have a fire extinguisher handy, and pull the plug out of the bowl while the engine is running...you just want to see fuel barely dripping over the edge, and that should be a perfect base setting.
Another thing, 18° BTDC is a bit high, try bringing it back down to about 10°...you only want a total of about 32° at around 3600 RPM.
Stock factory settings were only between 4° and 6° for base timing.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll differ a bit. The general consensus is that SBCs do best with 34-36 degrees of total timing. With a 20* stock mechanical advance HEI, most people would say your best timing is 14-16 BTDC.

Generally speaking, more advance is better, right to the detonation limit. All the old school hot rod guys I know just keep advancing it until they get pinging, then back off 2 degrees. I'm running 17* BTDC with no problems, and the engine loves it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'll differ a bit. The general consensus is that SBCs do best with 34-36 degrees of total timing. With a 20* stock mechanical advance HEI, most people would say your best timing is 14-16 BTDC.

Generally speaking, more advance is better, right to the detonation limit. All the old school hot rod guys I know just keep advancing it until they get pinging, then back off 2 degrees. I'm running 17* BTDC with no problems, and the engine loves it.

Agreed Rich, I usually recommend a more stocking timing setting while troubleshooting...then when everything is at a good baseline, the Ping is the limit!

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size

^This is what I did. I would advance it until it started running rough and then back off until it smoothed out. By then the engine was warmed up. I would turn it off and stand outside of the truck. I would then reach in and start it without pumping the gas. If the engine started and idled then I considered the timing to be right on. Is that crazy? I have always done it that way regardless of what cam or engine I had in my truck.

I also will say that I put the medium curve spring in the distributor also. I also run a q-jet. I never had any problems with it starting, running etc. I also think I installed the cam straight up as well.

I learned this from my old neighbor. He was a diesel mechanic as well as a darn good general mechanic. This was how he set his 77 Chevy 4x4 up. Old school baby. That was how it was done back then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub