engine running funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mmoore031908

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know the quadrajets are like that but I have the summit 600 cfm Holley clone. I'm not to familiar with how the holleys meter air or fuel.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it's anything like the edelbrocks, it's jetted too rich right out of the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it's anything like the edelbrocks, it's jetted too rich right out of the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my reading about carbs unless you have a Quadrajet most aftermarket carbs need a fuel regulator to keep from running to rich.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
From my reading about carbs unless you have a Quadrajet most aftermarket carbs need a fuel regulator to keep from running to rich.

Not if the fuel pressure is within their operating range, which, for mechanical fuel pumps, is usually true.

Mmoore031908

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have been trying to figure out if it is lean or rich but i really cant tell. Its not puffing black smoke that i can see. But stumbles when its accelerating until about 2000 rpms or so. I just dont know if its a lean stumble or a lean bog. I really dont know where to start with this issue.

Mmoore031908

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wish I had the money for one. I was thinking about getting just a universal O2 sensor and using a multimeter. But it wouldn't be very accurate. Are there any cheap a/f meters like maybe around or under $50? I think all the ones I have seen are at least $150 and up.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
yea couple $ more AUTOmeter a/f meter its what I have, tho I haven't had time besides installing it to use it. I got mine from that white and green parts store from Ireland :) they get a single wire o2 sensor. tho this is not a narrow band setup the more close you instal it to the head the more accurate it will read.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
See if you can go in with somebody. Once you are set up, you don't need it any more unless you make substantive induction or exhaust changes.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Before you spend any money on fancy things have you at least done the basic tuneup items and then checked to ensure your carb is running its optimal efficiency?

Mmoore031908

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
new stock replacement distributor, new plugs, new wires. I messed with it some today and it is still sluggish down low. I tried messing with the idle mixture screws some more. I started with it almost to lean and then i would adjust it some and the idle would raise so I would lower it and did that a few times where it idles fairly well at about 650-700 rpms in drive and about 900 or so in park.

Mmoore031908

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Another issue that I have had and it just started yesterday is overheating. It will idle fine as soon as it is started up but after it is driven and sits for longer than about 5 minutes it will start to slowly overheat. If the truck is turned off and then restarted it will not do it at idle or while it is being driven. It only overheats after a short trip and it idles for about 5 minutes.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sticky thermostat?

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I haven't sorted through this thread, but have you confirmed that your balancer has not slipped, causing the timing to be set wrong?The only reason I ask, is because you said there was no black smoke to indicate a rich bog, but, if it was a Lean issue, there would be pinging, and possibly backfiring. Incorrect timing will cause bog, and, in many cases, and overheating issue.

Mmoore031908

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Jim:The balancer hasnt slipped it was actually that my marks didnt line up so I am 3-4 degrees more advanced than what my balancer reads. I tore it down and started from scratch to make sure everything was lined up again.
It wont overheat if I start it and let it idle. I left it idle without moving it for at least 20 mins the other day while I was doing some adjusting and it never overheated. I then went for about a 5-7 minute drive up the road and back and it set idling for another 5 minutes or so then it gradually kept creeping up past the 210 mark and almost to the 3/4 mark until I had to cut it off.
I did put the thermostat in a pot of water before I installed it and it opened fine and it probably doesnt even have 50 miles on it. Right now the timing is set at about 18* BTDC initial. I have replaced the distributor and have not checked my total timing yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew