Engine pulling tips...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Well my truck has been having oil pressure issues since I bought it, But when towing this past weekend I feel its only a matter of time before the lets go. So im building a motor I have laying around the garage to replace in my truck. Im looking to see if theres any tips or tricks to pulling a engine out of these old lifted squarebodys. Or am I better off just pulling the grill and core support.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Just pull the hood and do it that way. Unless your square is lifted too high with a lift kit that you would have to pull the front end off.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All depends on how its lifted. If to high, you can use an A frame if you have access to one. I have even heard of people pulling their truck under a tree and using a block and tackle from a big tree limb. :grd:

Here is a discussion link on the subject when Dave asked a couple weeks ago.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
since your truck is a 87 does it still have the tbi on it, if so if you are building older engine does it have the tbi heads? also one piece rear main seal or two piece?

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Just pull the hood and do it that way. Unless your square is lifted too high with a lift kit that you would have to pull the front end off.

Its a 6in lift kit on 35's, Figured i would put the front on jack stands with the tires off to get it lower.

All depends on how its lifted. If to high, you can use an A frame if you have access to one. I have even heard of people pulling their truck under a tree and using a block and tackle from a big tree limb. :grd:

Here is a discussion link on the subject when Dave asked a couple weeks ago.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024

Lol no big trees in my yard but I have done that before, thanks for the link it is helpful.

since your truck is a 87 does it still have the tbi on it, if so if you are building older engine does it have the tbi heads? also one piece rear main seal or two piece?

Yes its still TBI, My "spare motor" that I will be building for this truck is a 1989 K5 blazer 350 TBI motor that a punk ass kid ripped me off on. I bought it complete TBI to Oil pan with the intentions of 400$ is a great deal for a complete backup motor. I opened it up to re-seal the motor and found that number one rod bearing was severly spun with a 1/4in+ lip on the crank. So im dropping it off at the machine shop this week to be hot tanked and checked to see if a hone or bore will be nescesary. Then I can figure out where to go from there. Ideal I would like to re-ring the stock pistons, I have another set of 5.7in rods and buy a steel crank to have a budget short block.

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
That's why whenever buying a used engine, either you pull the pan or have the seller pull the pan for inspection. If they have nothing to hide, it won't bother them any.

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
That's why whenever buying a used engine, either you pull the pan or have the seller pull the pan for inspection. If they have nothing to hide, it won't bother them any.

Yes I know, given that the engine hoist is was sitting on I did not want to be laying under the engine, it was scary as ****, It was on the brink of colapsing. So I payed and went on my way, its made most of its money back with the Sensors I needed for my truck, accesorys and starter. Worst part was I sent the guy pics and he went into full defensive mode telling me that I was trying to scam him. What a ass, but in the end you live and learn.

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
That sounds so familiar, I bought my 82 and it had just been "rebuilt" we made it 50 miles and it started knocking like crazy, turned out he put a really heavyweight oil in to keep from knocking, I sent him a text about it and he went off on me about how it was a great motor and I was a liar. I said " I don't want my money back, I still want the truck, I just wanted to let you know what was going on.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That sounds so familiar, I bought my 82 and it had just been "rebuilt" we made it 50 miles and it started knocking like crazy, turned out he put a really heavyweight oil in to keep from knocking, I sent him a text about it and he went off on me about how it was a great motor and I was a liar. I said " I don't want my money back, I still want the truck, I just wanted to let you know what was going on.

I've already told the story about my bro's El Co he just bought with a motor that had recently been. "Gone Thru" and Trans bebuilt about a year ago.
Come to find out, trans didn't have 1st gear, motor started knocking about 300 miles later when the oil light came on and my bro added 2qts of 10w-40and drove it 5 miles. Then he asked me why. I told him cuz the idiots that sold you car probably had gear oil in it to quiet the knocking rod and when you added 2qts of oil, you thinned it out and could hear the knocking. He got taken to the cleaners badly. I'm not even gonna say what he paid for the car. Mind you, I was not with him when he bought that one. I had looked at 4 with him the day before he bought this one and I was working that day, so he went and looked himself.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
if your building another motor and still want to use the tbi use the older style heads tbi heads suck

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
if your building another motor and still want to use the tbi use the older style heads tbi heads suck

totally agreee^^^^^^^^^^ , and the stock tbi intakes suck as well.

I would go for smaller cc , older heads (bump the comp. up) and run a adapter on a eddie performer intake for the tbi , ( the stock tbi intake wont work with the older heads anyway , I believe) , and then she will runnnnnn!!!

:patriot::patriot::patriot:

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I plan on using the top end on my truck already... This is just a temporary thing, I would like to later on do a 4.8 or 5.3 swap with a 4L60E to it as I slowly go through the truck but right now $$ doesnt play well since im building a new motor for my race car and just bought a car hauler so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76