engine problems help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
new problem :help: went to start my truck today and it took a minute to start up thought to myself "no big deal she sat for almost two weeks" she finally fired up and then died back out, got her going again, then the same thing, then it kinda started and idled i gave it gas and it died out, this went on a few times and then i gave up. back story/more info time i got my stereo working about two weeks ago (by stereo i mean shity clareon head unit and my to shity clareon door speakers) i was pretty happy and me and my friends sat around my yard like we do every day (i know exiting) but this time with MUSIC! it was awesome, id get up and start my truck every once in a while to keep her from dying but i got distracted between starts and waited to long so the battery died, (it ran fine during each of these startings/chargings) i figured no big deal ill get a charger and charge it and be fine, so on saturday i finally got my friends charger charged it while i went to family dinner with my mom and brother came back and YAY got it charged and cranking, started and died out like i described above but i just figured i was out of gas put some gas in it this morning and boom. the above problem became more then just being out of gas. i have no clue whats going on, its getting spark and air, could it be my fuel pump or something along those lines? :help:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Make sure you didnt get siphoned first, dump a few gallons in the tank, than a little in the carb again to help it pump up to the carb without killing your battery again.
If no go, check the filter.
get a mason jar, and feed the fuel line from the pump into it, and see if it pumps while cranking...keep a set of jumper cables or a charger handy.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Make sure you didnt get siphoned first, dump a few gallons in the tank, than a little in the carb again to help it pump up to the carb without killing your battery again.
If no go, check the filter.
get a mason jar, and feed the fuel line from the pump into it, and see if it pumps while cranking...keep a set of jumper cables or a charger handy.

i had just put two and a half gallons in it so ill have my friend bring over his starting fluid tomorrow and ill try the mason jar thing to thanks for the input.

Edit: ill also have him bring a battery charger since i already killed my battery haha

Last edited:

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Yup, sounds like fuel pump. Symptoms sound like it.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
its not the pump. i have no idea where to go from here

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Check the fuel filter. If it's a q-jet carb be sure to check the little filter that goes in the carb where the fuel line screws in. This happened to my dad's truck recently.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Check the fuel filter. If it's a q-jet carb be sure to check the little filter that goes in the carb where the fuel line screws in. This happened to my dad's truck recently.

dumb question time. wheres my fuel filter?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
dumb question time. wheres my fuel filter?

The dumb question, is the one you dont ask.
If you have a quadrajet, it is in the inlet of the carburetor, where the fuel line threads in. Should be a molded chunk of copper.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yes, please do not be afraid to ask the simplest questions here if it is sincere. And if you still need help keep bumping your thread.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
i dont think i have the quadrajet theres no filet there.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
here it is

You must be registered for see images attach

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's a q-jet. Take loose the fuel line, and put a crescent wrench on that big rusty nut lookin thing and take it off, carefully. The fuel filter is inside. Personally I would throw it away and just put an inline AC Delco fuel filter in the rubber line.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
idk what these things look like clean but it is really dark brown.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That's a q-jet. Take loose the fuel line, and put a crescent wrench on that big rusty nut lookin thing and take it off, carefully. The fuel filter is inside. Personally I would throw it away and just put an inline AC Delco fuel filter in the rubber line.

Dang ole...rusty nut.....Mmmmmmm, Hmmmm.

Go ahead and relace it, cheap piece of mind. Supposed to look goldish. So, the pump is pumping fuel to the Carburetor?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06